Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Towing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Towing question

I recently inherited a 1994 Cherokee to use for towing a 3000 lb. boat. When I set the shift selector in 3rd gear and towed about 150 miles, I noticed the center consol around the shifter got quite warm to the touch. When I changed gear to the OD setting the consol cooled down but the jeep shifted down into 3rd gear at every small incline. I don't have the manual and I'm wondering which gear setting should be used for towing?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:04 AM

you dont want to use over drive.....keep it in that third gear....

does your jeep have a tranny cooler mounted to the front of your radiator? if not, its not proberly equiped to pull that weight...and that could be a reason for it getting warm....but, then again, the tranny is going to get warmer then usual if its got the cooler or not......3000 pounds is another cherokee....so your asking your tranny that was made for one cherokee to pull 2 cherokees.............so its going to have more stress and in turn get warmer.......just be careful or if it gets to warm, it could blow a seal inside the tranny among other things
Old 08-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

if your going to be towing again, a trans cooler and a trans temp gauge might be your new best friend.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by drummerwookie
you dont want to use over drive.....keep it in that third gear....

does your jeep have a tranny cooler mounted to the front of your radiator? if not, its not proberly equiped to pull that weight...and that could be a reason for it getting warm....but, then again, the tranny is going to get warmer then usual if its got the cooler or not......3000 pounds is another cherokee....so your asking your tranny that was made for one cherokee to pull 2 cherokees.............so its going to have more stress and in turn get warmer.......just be careful or if it gets to warm, it could blow a seal inside the tranny among other things
Originally Posted by CrawlnCoupe
if your going to be towing again, a trans cooler and a trans temp gauge might be your new best friend.
X2 Never tow in OD, and get a trans cooler if not equipped already. Also keep an eye on your engine temp. gauge.