Tools Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tools Part II

Okay.so after my first thread about cleaning tools...Kinda soawned another topic....who makes the best high quality tools?..I know this is almost as bad as the synthetic oil vs conventional oil thread. ..ducking and running for cover...

Btw I use Sears Craftsman
Old 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for"...SNAP-ON gets my vote.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: I6 4.0L

snap on and craftsman
Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

For automotive hand tools, I use Craftsman almost exclusively. For power tools, its a mix of Craftsman & DeWalt with one or two Makita. Tools for the house & woodworking, Stanley & Craftsman. I grew up in a racing & construction family who used Craftsman almost exclusively and Ive NEVER had an issue with a Craftsman tool. I like that theyre American made (at least all the ones I own are), inexpensive, they have a LONG history as being a great tool, GREAT customer support, GREAT warranty/guarantee and you can find a Sears in any major city. I know there are other brands that are just as good, maybe better, but for overall quality, support, ease, its Craftsman every time. I actually get upset when I have to buy something that isnt Craftsman. There isnt a Sears in my little town, so when I NEED something, I have to buy whatever the hardware store has. Thats how I started using DeWalt in 2004 actually. Before living up here, I HATED DeWalt and would have never bought their stuff.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM

I really have no other experience with other makers than Craftsman...Snap on is the other obvious choice..but what about Kobalt?..or foreign tool makers perhaps..Germans...Italians...
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

I usually use husky, my buddy turned me on to them. Great warranty, if you break somethin just bring it back to home depot and they will give ya a new one at no charge.

However, I get super excited whenever I get to use snap on. Their ratchets have almost no play between engagement pawls. Soooooooooo nice when workin in tight spaces
Old 10-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Oh yeah home depot..I've never used them before. ..im looking at lowes they have porter cable impact socket sets..anyone use them before?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.7 Hesco stroker

I use mainly Snap-on/Blue Point. I also gave a lot of Klein and Greenlee tools. You can't beat Klein crimpers and strippers, if you're a career 12volt technician.....
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Year: 2004

Originally Posted by xjforfishing
as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for"...SNAP-ON gets my vote.
+1 There is a reason the majority of professional mechanics use Snap on and it's not because the truck comes by the shop. When you use them day in and day out you can tell the quality difference.

For the weekend wrencher I would say it's hard to beat Craftsman but if you constantly use them and depend on them then Snap On
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepney
I really have no other experience with other makers than Craftsman...Snap on is the other obvious choice..but what about Kobalt?..or foreign tool makers perhaps..Germans...Italians...
I think Knipix pliers, etc. are a German Company if I'm not mistaken and they make very good stuff.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Now that I come to think about it and correct me if I'm wrong when it comes to hand tools american tools are one of the last products that haven't got any foreign competition...When it comes to cars...as we all know USA has plenty of competition from Japan to Korea to Germany.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

I dont like Snap On... its not that theyre bad wrenches but they are way overpriced. You do not get what you pay for.

Why buy option 1 for far more than option 2, if option 2 has 99% of option 1?
Its like buying a car for much more than another, beacuse the expensive one has cupholders.
All above are my opinion..

I use craftsman for most of my tools. I have a bunch of deep sockets and a bunch of extensions that are Stanley, and they are pretty darn good. Power tools I use DeWalt... excellent brand. Bostich (stanley) for nailguns, the best bar none.
Makita and Ryobi are pretty good power tools too.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

At home I have Matco, Mac, and Snap-On in my Matco chest. At work I use all Snap-On because they're provided by my employer.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ivantheigor
I dont like Snap On... its not that theyre bad wrenches but they are way overpriced. You do not get what you pay for.

Why buy option 1 for far more than option 2, if option 2 has 99% of option 1?
Its like buying a car for much more than another, beacuse the expensive one has cupholders.
All above are my opinion..

I use craftsman for most of my tools. I have a bunch of deep sockets and a bunch of extensions that are Stanley, and they are pretty darn good. Power tools I use DeWalt... excellent brand. Bostich (stanley) for nailguns, the best bar none.
Makita and Ryobi are pretty good power tools too.
I don't know I've got the same wrenches and screwdrivers I first bought back in 1993 and they are still good. I also have a 3/8 ratchet from about 2001 of course I only use them 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, etc. The thing is the fit and finish is far beyond a comparable brand. I've had Matco and they just do not last like Snap on. I certainly would not by them if I didn't make my living using them.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by marcall
I don't know I've got the same wrenches and screwdrivers I first bought back in 1993 and they are still good. I also have a 3/8 ratchet from about 2001 of course I only use them 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, etc. The thing is the fit and finish is far beyond a comparable brand. I've had Matco and they just do not last like Snap on. I certainly would not by them if I didn't make my living using them.
I used to use a craftsamn socket wrench that was my grandfathers with a cheater bar on it all the time.. Never failed. Got a new socket wrench and I use long cheater bar, jumping on it, and it havent failed me. Used my standard sockets on an impact with no problems (do not do this, I have a set of standard impacts now)
Yes Snap-on are good.. great. But they are NOT worth the extra price over craftsman.

But dont cheap out on tools.. bought a set of crap wrenches to keep in my ATV... stuck a cheater bar on one and bent it 90 degrees.

Quick Reply: Tools Part II