Tool Thread...

Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tool Thread...

I wanted to toss out there some things I've learned about different names of tools over the last 25 years of working on stuff, including my Jeeps, Bikes etc.

Heres some ideas for you.
Lets talk ratchets:
Most china tool sets the ratchets are disposable. Point closed.
I HATE busted knuckles so I use only a quality ratchet.
Some names to look for in Ratchets.
Craftsman, typical good quality and last a very long time.
MAc/Snap-On: Like Craftsman very good quality, but without a tool truck your screwed for getting it warrantied. A lot of Truck Tool dealers, are snobbish
about replacing broken stuff if your not a regular customer.

Great Neck: cheap set made in China or Taiwan but I've been using a socket set for several years from them and busted one ratchet but no sockets or extensions. Truck Pro replaced the ratchet without question so the warranty stands good with me.

Kobalt: Kobalt sold by Lowes, they use to sell real ratchets, they are every bit as good as Snap-on I've been using a long handle 3/8 drive for several years also without breaking it, its pulled main bolts, head bolts etc.

I just bought a cheap set of Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-45951.html

First off the wrenches in this set are CHEAP. The sockets and ratchets are CR-V Taiwan brand. I've got some Taiwan CR-V stuff that is 20+ years old and I do not remember ever breaking a CR-V socket or wrench. The ratchets feel good with tight teeth but time will tell on them, I typically don't use the cheap ratchets just because of the above named busted knuckles. I keep the Kobalt and Craftsman for that.

Feel free to add to my little list as the need/mood strikes you.
I know there is alot of young people on this sight and some not so young but maybe wanting to learn to wrench on your Jeep as a hobby and see the name brand prices cost prohibitive.

I got the 301 piece on sale then used a 25% coupon so I got it for $130.

I also bought a new tool box.
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-draw...net-90320.html

I've got three tool boxes in the shop, and I just bought this one, MAtco (25 years old) Craftsman Top box (again very old) and this lower box is every bit as good as the Matco and has better drawer slides.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue Point tools are also great.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

The Powerbuilt tools from Pepboys aren't too bad. Made by Alltrade but just as good as Craftsman. Ive had the same set for 6 years now only broke the quarter inch rachet but they replaced it no prob.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

My great-grandfather was a stock car driver and then head mechanic for a state garage for like 20 years. My gramp was a stock car driver and mechanic. I grew up with my gramp and he used to say "All my dad used was Craftsman, all I use are my dads tools, all you use are your great-gramps tools." I ONLY buy craftsman. Ive NEVER had a problem. I HAVE had problems when I DIDNT buy Craftsman.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by bigvig
My great-grandfather was a stock car driver and then head mechanic for a state garage for like 20 years. My gramp was a stock car driver and mechanic. I grew up with my gramp and he used to say "All my dad used was Craftsman, all I use are my dads tools, all you use are your great-gramps tools." I ONLY buy craftsman. Ive NEVER had a problem. I HAVE had problems when I DIDNT buy Craftsman.
A lot of my dads sockets and ratchets are his grandfathers... and hes holding on to them for a while.

I have a nice craftsman set and a cheapo mustang set.... both I keep both in my jeep and havent had any problems with them. But I dont use them extensively, only when the job didctates the use of my tools.

But buy craftsman, the socket wrenches operate smoother and quieter, and there wrenches ore very stout... never bent any of them even when using a pipe for leverage (Ive bent several cheap ones like that)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 classic
Engine: 4.0!!

I know of two other people and myself that have had A LOT of problems with craftsman ratches. especially the 1/2 ratchets. under load they kick to the other directiong. like when loosening itll kick to tighten and ruin your day! i have a nice snap on ratchet and its great and rebuildable too! craftsman wrencher are great ive never had and issues w anything else craftsman. great tools but ****ty ratchets lol
Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

My grandpa was a machinest class A and so I've inherited an entire shed of tools and roller boxes. The boxes are all old craftsman and the tools are a mix of good American and Japanese. All work great and haven't failed yet even thought theyre over 20 years old.
One old Japanese rachet I though was cool cause the head bends like a universal attachment but is real strong and friendly to use, I'll get pics but I never saw anything like it before