Took these pics especially for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Four Point Slow
Default Took these pics especially for you guys

Well, I got my lift put in over the past week. As expected, it was quite the hassle. I decided you guys might enjoy some pictures, so here ya go:

Took these pics especially for you guys-jim1.jpg
The day I brought it home. I actually looked it over in the dark before I bought it (don't ever do that!). It was a LOT rougher than I expected. I had to do a home-valve job on it (thanks, dad), fix rusted rocker panels and quarter panels, a new wheel bearing, a new radiator, and DEEP clean the interior, all before I could actually start building it. On the positive side, it cleaned up decent and runs great.

Took these pics especially for you guys-jp4.jpg
I stuffed a set of wore out 30x9.50's under it, with painted alloy wheels and 2 inch blocks in the rear. It still kept popping off the rear flares. I drove it like this until I could afford my lift.

Took these pics especially for you guys-lines.jpg
The first thing I bought were extended front brake lines. I got these off Rockauto, they are factory XJ lines that are extended 4 inches for lifted suspensions. I gave around $35 shipped for both, and they are working great. VERY pleased. Dorman part #s H622066 (LF) and H622065 (RF), in case anyone is interested.

Took these pics especially for you guys-finally.jpg
Took me like 4 months, and a big chunk of our tax return, but I FINALLY got the lift and tires in. 31x10.50 BFG AT KO's, Rubicon Express 3.5 Super ride kit with full leaf packs, factory YJ front shocks and JK rear shocks. This RubEx stuff is impressive, very nice quality and good finish.

Took these pics especially for you guys-bar.jpg
Last piece. Iron Rock Offroad adjustable track bar. I went with a single shear (for now). My budget was maxed out. I'll convert it over to a double shear when I add my sway bar disconnects later this year. This thing is awesome.

I cant upload anymore pictures in this post. More to come.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 AM

Took these pics especially for you guys-jp3.jpg
The tear down. Oh. My. Gosh. This was quite the pain. We encountered ALL the normal problems, rust seized leaf bolts, broken shock studs, stuck control arm bolts, but were finally able to get it all tore out within an evening. Thank God for oxy-acetylene torches and air hammers.

Took these pics especially for you guys-jp6.jpg
It took pretty much an entire Saturday to get everything wire brushed, painted, and undercoated. But it was SO worth it. The under carriage of this thing looks nearly new. The bottom of my jeep looks better than the body. The front axle went in without too much of a hitch.

Took these pics especially for you guys-jp1.jpgTook these pics especially for you guys-jp8.jpg
Finally back on all 4's. I remounted the flares and rear trim, looks so much better. I got the tires balanced and the front end aligned. It drives fine, but I'm still battling some vibes. They were HARSH at first, but after an alignment and a 1 inch transfer case drop, it is now at least drivable. I'm really considering the IRO Hack n tap, but to be honest I'm quite nervous about cutting my output shaft. This is my daily driver, if I mess that up, I'm not sure what I'll do :/

Let me know what you guys think. Sorry for the bad pictures. I'm a poor photographer with a very cave-man like camera phone. I figured you'd enjoy seeing the transformation. I am pretty tickled with it. Now, off to update my signature line
Old 04-23-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Nice looking build, diggin the DTOM plate! Good to see fellow jeeper patriots
Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I've ran RE parts forever, still running my leaves after over 10 years. I also run a hack and tap, same amount of time, but mine is the RE version but they are all pretty much the same. Good looking XJ, glad you're liking it lifted, wait till you see how much better it is offroad.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So what part of Kentucky you in ?
Old 04-24-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
So what part of Kentucky you in ?

I live down around the Green River Lake region, in a little hick town no one has ever heard of haha.

I just nutted up and ordered the IRO Hack n Tap kit. I just hope I can drill that pilot hole straight. Off to the boneyard tomorrow to find a new driveshaft.

I can't wait to get this thing in the dirt.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Yikes I don't think I'd be able to crawl under a Jeep on 4 jack stands and feel safe. I typically start with one half of the vehicle and then go to the other.

Turned out damn nice looking though.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Nice looking XJ lucky to find a 2dr.!

Once you finish the Hack&Tap you might consider making yourself a set of sway bar disconnects easy to make and cheap. Just do a search to find several different ones people have made. You did remove the rear sway bar didn't you as its not needed.

Do you know how much travel those shocks will give you?
Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 AM

Whoops, double post

Last edited by Makarov; 04-25-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

My moms side of the family is from grayson county i know all about hick towns.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Yikes I don't think I'd be able to crawl under a Jeep on 4 jack stands and feel safe. I typically start with one half of the vehicle and then go to the other.

Turned out damn nice looking though.

Oh, no worries there, any time we were actually under it, it was also supported by floor jacks. 6 points of support were enough for me to feel reasonably safe. I pulled out the front axle while my Pa pulled out the rear. It was all stripped out at once in order to paint it all at once.

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Nice looking XJ lucky to find a 2dr.!

Once you finish the Hack&Tap you might consider making yourself a set of sway bar disconnects easy to make and cheap. Just do a search to find several different ones people have made. You did remove the rear sway bar didn't you as its not needed.

Do you know how much travel those shocks will give you?

I will definitely check that out. I used the rear sway bar brackets to do the home-brew rear bar pin eliminators on the shocks, I think from the Rock-Lizard Fab budget build? They worked fantastic. Yes, the rest of the sway bar is in the scrap pile.

As for the shocks, the front SHOULD give 9 5/8's inches travel, and the rear right at 8.5 inches. I got them cheap, they ride pretty nice, we'll see how they do in the hills. The only gripe I have is that the rears had to have the bar-pins removed, and the fronts had to have them added. That was a bit of a hassle. I may upgrade them sometime in the future.