Tires, Wheels and Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tires, Wheels and Lift

Hello and thank you for the welcome. I have a few questions concerning my newly purchased 2000 XJ. First of all I don't really at this point want to "Flex" my vehicle. I just want to lift the XJ a bit and put some bigger tires on it. Now, I have read many threads that seem a little old and don't know if there are any changes to "Where" to buy and quality. My choices are Rusty's, RE, RC,EMU and a couple others I cannot remember???? So, I've decided to go with the new packs and coils up front. This is why I'm leaning towards the Rusty's Kit, but I've heard so many mixed reviews about quality etc.

Still confused and need some REAL guidance! Keep in mind, I really don't want to do too much off-road. I will mainly be on-road with snow at times and this will be my DD. So I'm looking for a decent ride, but I'm not too picky as long as I'm not riding in the "Flinstones" mobile. I would really like to stick with buying the new pack and coils, which ones are fairly reasonable and quality to last me some years, especially the type driving I will be doing? So here are some questions and or options I'm thinking.

1. If I just go with stock for now and buy new wheels and tires looking to the future, whats the biggest can I run and back space for wheels. If I go this route, I would like to put at least 30x9.5's on it on 15x8 wheels. Will this work?

2. If I stay with no higher than a 3" lift (coil & LS) do I HAVE to do the TC drop and any other mods (break-lines) or steering? I've heard so many different views on this. Again, it will be my DD on the highway at Hwy speeds and snow at times.

3. As for shocks... If I go with tires and wheels first, are there any shocks that I can put on NOW at stock height, that I can still use if I lift it 2 or 3 inches later?

Lastly; I'm not trying to keep using Rusty's all the time, but they have complete kits. Wheels, tires and lift, but I honestly don't want an AAL. Seems like from what I've heard, it's a quick fix, with an upgrade inevitably at a later date, but...if this is a good fix (with the long leafs AAL) then I don't have an issue with it. Anyone who can help me out, I would appreciate your assistance. Of course money has some influence. This is why I'm giving my couple options and a lot of thought before any of these soon to be purchases. Regardless, I will have to buy tires first and foremost. So a big thanks ahead of time for any help and or guidance. I apologize for lengthy post and bringing a topic I know has been already run into the ground, I'm sure!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM

Year: 97

this is what I just went with... after a long time being indecisive I finally pulled the trigger..

The owner is an active member here also..

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...49a941d6ea8522

you will want to add your shocks when doing the lift, the set up I'm using should be capable of wheeling and still used as a competent DD

Last edited by DieselDaze; 11-06-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

That's a great price on those RE 3.5" leafs!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 AM

Year: 97

OP, btw just noticed this is in OEM forum, you'd have a much better response in modified..

I'm sure the mods will move it for ya...
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: inline 6 4.0L

check out IRONROCKOFFROAD.COM i have their 5.5" long arm and i love it. now you probably wont be going with the LA kit but they have full lifts with short arms too. now ive never used rustys kits but i sure did look at them for my first lift (3") but i read and read tons of reviews and what i noticed that kept popping up was their steering was an abomination, as in the welds kept breaking. which made me think, if the welds on the steering are that bad maybe it is on the control arms. so i just went with the next option which was rough country. and boy was that a mistake. i went through two sets of leaf springs in less than a year as well as new bushings for the third set.
for the tires you can stick with 30" if you want to keep the fender flairs. ive seen up to 33s at stock height but you NEED to cut your fenders. IMO 32x11.5 tires would look good with trimmed fenders at stock height and you wouldnt have to worry about gearing at that size. the only reason im saying that is im guessing this is just going to be a mall crawler where functionality isnt as important as looks

as for a TC drop, i didnt need one at first but then vibrations popped up and got a set from a buddy and it worked. but for a little extra cash you can get a hack and tap SYE.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 AM

Year: 2000

Thanks everyone for your input. I've went to all the sites you referred. The RE seems like a really nice kit, I was also looking at the "Zone". I've read nothing but good reviews about them and it seems they are producing quality. I guess for all its trial and error, with so many elements and or company's to choose from. I can get a full 3" lift with full spring packs and coils, along with shocks and all necessary hardware (from Zone). I will have to purchase the TC drop. I know most say I will not need this, but for piece of mind, I'm going to go ahead and install it. None of this looks all too hard, except the possible trouble of rear shock bolts not coming out. I plan to buy something to spray and soak for a week or so before, hopefully this will eliminate this pain in the, well you get it! The other smaller things I plan on replacing a part or two at a time, to make it all complete down there. Just trying to get her lifted and slide those new wheels and tires under. Thanks again for your input, it nice of you all to take the time out to do that. Happy Wheeling, Flexing and spending that COIN, for the finer things in life!