Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tire advice for XT tow vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Default Tire advice for XT tow vehicle

My 2000 Cherokee Sport is going to be towing a small 17’ RV trailer. The trailer GVDW is around 2500 Lbs and hitch weight is under 400#. I need a new set of tires and need advice on tires. The vehicle runs mainly on west coast from WA to AZ and is normally on highway.

thanks
Mike
Old 08-17-2018, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I always recommend an all terrain over highway type tires just for thise "just in case instances"...also, because this is a tow rig, my advice is to get some pretty darn good tires because they will be abused with the extra weight. Bfg, general grabber, cooper all make great all terrains.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

In general, LT's are going to be more comfortable on the highway and get better gas mileage compared to an AT tire. The XJ + camper combo is pretty light overall, so most tires in the category should be up to the task for towing (check the specs on the specific tire and size though)

But something like the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor would be a good choice. It is an AT that leans towards the LT side of things. I have never experienced them, but most say that they are comfortable on-road and mildly capable off-road. A more aggressive AT like the Wrangler Duratrac is probably too aggressive unless you think you will be driving off-road.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
In general, LT's are going to be more comfortable on the highway and get better gas mileage compared to an AT tire. The XJ + camper combo is pretty light overall, so most tires in the category should be up to the task for towing (check the specs on the specific tire and size though)

But something like the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor would be a good choice. It is an AT that leans towards the LT side of things. I have never experienced them, but most say that they are comfortable on-road and mildly capable off-road. A more aggressive AT like the Wrangler Duratrac is probably too aggressive unless you think you will be driving off-road.
i'm confused...an LT is essentially a size of tire indicating it is of heavier ply then non LT versions. Most all AT tires can be had in LT versions. AT cant "lean" towards being an LT. It either has the designation or it doesnt
Old 08-20-2018, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Martlor13
i'm confused...an LT is essentially a size of tire indicating it is of heavier ply then non LT versions. Most all AT tires can be had in LT versions. AT cant "lean" towards being an LT. It either has the designation or it doesnt
Maybe it is I that is confused then

I meant to type H/T I think. I usually just associate those as "on-road" tires, and A/T as "All Terrain", but you are correct about LT just being a designation/class

EDIT:
I was basically saying get a more "on-road" biased tire if you are not going to be offroad ever, vs something like a more aggressive AT which the Duratracs fall under. Gas mileage and comfort are a big deal to me when I am towing far.

Last edited by investinwaffles; 08-20-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Maybe it is I that is confused then

I meant to type H/T I think. I usually just associate those as "on-road" tires, and A/T as "All Terrain", but you are correct about LT just being a designation/class

EDIT:
I was basically saying get a more "on-road" biased tire if you are not going to be offroad ever, vs something like a more aggressive AT which the Duratracs fall under. Gas mileage and comfort are a big deal to me when I am towing far.
no worries man. I thought you meant that, but working in a tire shop, i hear the LT confusion from customers every week.

the duratracs are a hybrid tire leaning more towards the mud tire designation. Being heavily siped is probably their biggest attribute contributing to the all terran side