tint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default tint?

Has anyone had problems with local law enforcement with window tint? I just got done putting 5% on the hatch and 20% on the rear two windows. I am going to 20-30% on the pass. rear doors. I have a infant and a toddler and I am sick of the window screens. They block my vision worse than tint.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by They call me cowboy
Has anyone had problems with local law enforcement with window tint? I just got done putting 5% on the hatch and 20% on the rear two windows. I am going to 20-30% on the pass. rear doors. I have a infant and a toddler and I am sick of the window screens. They block my vision worse than tint.

I would like the MN jeepers to give me a shout out, as it seems that our tint laws are pretty strict
Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I wish I had an answer but I live in Vegas and want to know also. I have those pull down screens for my son and I almost hate them. lol
Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I moved this to Cherokee Chat as theres no tech in this thread.

Are you asking what's legal in your area? Google can tell you what the state laws are.. or your states DMV website.

Honestly, it's gonna come down to the local LEO's and how agressive their going to be on enforcing this.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

down here in az they are pretty strict but your local shop will know the law for your area and you may have to convince them to go darker than legal if they dont enforce or the tint level isnt what you want im running the same level they do on limos and roll with the windows down cause i have been pulled over before for it
Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

see i have been running 5% tint in AZ for 2 full years now and 1.5 years down here at school in NM with zero issues. It depends on how strict your local laws are. Here in NM 20% is the legal limit however 20% and 5% look very similar at night. in AZ its 35% in the front and 5% in the rear.

i attached a pictures of the 5% vs the 0%(no tint)

Minnesota Window Tint Law

Minnesota Tint Law Enacted: 1985

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Minnesota, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in when using the film.

Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 50% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN MINNESOTA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.

OTHER MINNESOTA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors No restrictions.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on the driver’s side window.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.
Attached Images   
Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

even if you go with a 35% it still blocks 99% of UV rays. i would tint it personally

just my recommendation is 3M lifetime tint. It does not fade that ugly purple it wont chip/flake/peel/bubble/fade or anything. and if something like that happens to it they replace it for free.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 AM

Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

Originally Posted by 96_xj
even if you go with a 35% it still blocks 99% of UV rays. i would tint it personally

just my recommendation is 3M lifetime tint. It does not fade that ugly purple it wont chip/flake/peel/bubble/fade or anything. and if something like that happens to it they replace it for free.

did you do this yourself? looks good.

links to where you got material and cost?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Ohio you can go as dark as you want on all windows except the front doors and windshield.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: inline 6

in Ga it is 15% on the back windows, 33% or 35% on the front(can't remember exactly), the windshield can have a max of 6 inches of NON-reflective type tint.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: inline 6

Originally Posted by 96_xj

a lot of tint shops offer lifetime tint warrantys as well.....something that if my XJ was not already tinted, i would definitely want
Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991

In Wisconsin you can go as dark as you want on all windows, except the front doors and windshield. But I myself wouldn't tint the back hatch window, any more than factory tint. I like to know what's behind me. (like the Police), And sucks backing up at night.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 PM

well I said screw it, I went 5% in the rear and 20 on the back sides. I like it, and my tools are not real visible. I can feel comfortable transporting my guns without worrying about gawkers and the kids will like the fact they are not squinting anymore. they can pull me over if they want, I will pull it off for a week or so, and lay it back on. most minivans and suv's come stock with heavy tint now anyway, you can't see through it without getting right on it.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

In Sumner County in TN I had limo all around and limo on a 8" strip on the top my windshield and never got in trouble. I think TN just doesn't care about rules lol We have a 32" bumper height rule and I still don't get in trouble lol

Look into your county rules also. Davidson county here sux major they are so strict it sux but right next to davidson county is sumner county and sumner county doesn't care and the tint rules are actually a little diff
Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991

Mine came with the factory mirrored tint, Anyways. You would have to put your face right up to it, to see in.

Quick Reply: tint?