Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Thoughts on 95 Cherokees

Hey guys,

I tried searching but didn’t find anything specific to this year. Anyway, I’m looking at a few XJ’s that include a couple of 99’s and a 95. I can find quite a bit of information on the 99’s but not the 95’s. I’m looking specifically for what I should look out for on the years that include the 95s. I know 97-99 generally have few problems other than general maintenance, that 00-01’s include the 0331 heads and that 96’s are somewhat of a transition year. So, anything I should keep in mind about 95’s when I go look at it?

I know it needs a headliner, the power steering is leaking a little, the seats are REALLY dirty and the paint clear coat is peeling off. All of that is a non-issue since I can fix both the headliner and power steering. Seat covers will take care of the seats and I really don’t care about the paint.

Sorry for this being a little long. Oh and since i’m In Florida rust isn’t really an issue unless vehicles spend a lot of time close to the beach. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

Right off only one other main concern that comes to mind in reference to all year XJ's besides the 0331 head. If you plan on doing any amount of offroading you may want to pass on any XJ's with the D35 rear. Are the ones your looking at 4.0's? Which transmissions?

I've had a '96 for 10yrs and the transition issue has not showed it's head to me yet.

Here's is a good reference link:
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjstockspecs.html
Old 10-03-2017, 07:03 PM

All of the ones I’m looking at are 4.0’s and automatic.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Here is a post of mine I've reposted a hundred times since I have nothing significant to ever change about it.

Guys whose only advice to you is "buy a 99" aren't really helping you much. Some of them just blindly regurgitate that because they read it somewhere when researching Jeeps, and they don't even know why. There are some reasons that 99 is a particularly favored year, but it might be that NONE of them matter to YOU. I mean, what do you want to do with your Cherokee? Is it just going to be a daily driver? Will you wheel it? If so, how often? How hard? What kind (mud, sand, rocks)? Are there any particular modifications/upgrades you'd want to do to it?

I think some people's obsession with 99 is a bit disrespectful to how great all the other XJ's are. Even the 00 and 01 XJ's are worthy of respect that is often denied to them by many. You really can't lose. Many minor and some major changes were made between 84 and 01. I'm sure you can find a list of all the changes out there somewhere; I know I found that info myself once upon a time.

Aside from the normal stuff to look out for with ANY used car, be aware that 84-86 XJ's had GM engines that pale in comparison to the 4.0 of 87-01 (I'm just ignoring the 4 cyl engines that some XJ's had). The pre-91 Renix systems are a bit ... "special" and simply something to be aware of and ready to work with if you're looking at one. 00-01 4.0's have a head with a casting flaw that may or may not crack between cyl 3 and 4. Many of them never crack (or at least haven't after hundreds of thousands of miles), but many do. It's something to watch-out for but not something that should keep you away completely, and you should be aware that identical heads without the casting flaw are out there should you have a crack. The manual trannies are solid as are the autos. The two possible transfer cases are both great. There are a variety of rear ends each with their own advantages and disadvantages, and unless you're planning on doing lots of wheeling, even the weakest of the bunch (D35) will be just peachy. The floor pans are easily the most susceptible to rust on all years. Because of the limited space for a radiator, XJ's are just barely able to maintain their operating temperature, so you have very little room to slack on maintaining the cooling system; luckily the cooling system is a reliable as any other part of the 4.0, so it's not likely to require much work (and any work will be relatively cheap). The stock exhaust manifold cracks easily which can impact the performance and efficiency of your engine negatively. Dorman makes a very affordable replacement should you ever need/want one (there are other header options out there as well).

It is my opinion that if you get an XJ with a 4.0 from 91-99, you have virtually nothing but cheap regular maintenance to worry about. If you get an 00 or 01, you just have to make sure to never overheat it (as if you'd ever be OK with overheating any engine), and to pay closer attention to the oil and coolant "health."

Last edited by mschi772; 10-04-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts

91-99 are good years just avoid one with the dana 35 rear if you plan on bigger tires.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:52 AM

Thanks. Yeah, I’m not to concerned with which years are good or to watch out for. In my car buying experience, any year can have good or bad vehicles. I’m just wanting to know if there is anything specific to keep in mind on the 91-95 model years.

I’ve read about all the sensors on the Renix models and that doesn’t bother. I’m just aware that if I consider one from those years it may be something I have to deal with. I know there are other factors with the 00-01’s and they don’t bother me as much as the 0331 head concern. I’m not looking for a rock crawler. I’m just looking for something that is relatively easy to work on with plenty of parts availability.

I just sold a 95 Mustang and it was a two year run with some specific parts only to that year. Sometimes it was difficult to find parts or I had to make parts from earlier or newer cars work on it. That’s kind of what I’m trying to get away from.

I just want something fun that can function as a spare car if needed and something the family can all participate in.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:41 AM

Ok, so after doing some more internet digging let me see if I hit on the two main concerns, that for my intended purposes are probably not concerns to consider on 91-95 XJ’s. 1. Smaller U-joints on the front axle and 2. If equipped with ABS, Dana 35 rear and if no ABS the possibility of having the Chrysler 8.25. Everything else should be just general car maintenance issues, correct?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by .45seg
Ok, so after doing some more internet digging let me see if I hit on the two main concerns, that for my intended purposes are probably not concerns to consider on 91-95 XJ’s. 1. Smaller U-joints on the front axle and 2. If equipped with ABS, Dana 35 rear and if no ABS the possibility of having the Chrysler 8.25. Everything else should be just general car maintenance issues, correct?
Basically, yep. You can get a little hair-splittier and note that some people might prefer having at least an OBD2 computer for diagnostics and such (and I know some that prefer the opposite) while the 95 is OBD1. Also, if a passenger airbag is a thing for you, that doesn't exist until 97.

I posted my quote to showcase that relative to all other years, there's nothing specific to 95 to be particularly concerned about. Personally, if the condition is right, there isn't an XJ I wouldn't go for, and that includes the 84-86 V6's.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 PM

Thank you.

Yeah, I’m not to concerned with the actual year, I just wasn’t seeing anything that related to specific things to look out for/check on the 91-95 years. I just want to have as much knowledge as I can when I go check some out. I’m finding a lot of 00-01 in my area and some 99’s. A 95 popped up that is unmolested with 135k miles for what I consider a decent price, and I didn’t know what to look out for on it. I’m going to try and check it out this weekend if I get a chance.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by .45seg
Thank you.

Yeah, I’m not to concerned with the actual year, I just wasn’t seeing anything that related to specific things to look out for/check on the 91-95 years. I just want to have as much knowledge as I can when I go check some out. I’m finding a lot of 00-01 in my area and some 99’s. A 95 popped up that is unmolested with 135k miles for what I consider a decent price, and I didn’t know what to look out for on it. I’m going to try and check it out this weekend if I get a chance.
if you see one that isn't messed with too much and a decent price, I would make time sooner to check it out haha.... nice ones for good prices don't last long.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:34 PM

True, but it’s 2.5 hrs away from me and until my truck gets out of the shop, my wife and I are down to one vehicle. So, I have to wait until I have another way go before I can make the trip to check it out.