Subwoofer help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L IL 6
Default Subwoofer help

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, just need some advice.

I'm going to install my sub sometime this weekend, I have everything I need and I have no problem with wiring everything up, I just wanted to see where everyone else was getting access through the firewall.

Is it easiest to go through an existing point on the driver's side or drill a new point on the passenger's side and clean it up? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, just want to do it as best I can while keeping it a somewhat quick procedure. I've got a '96.

Just wondering if it'd be easier to run the wiring through the point below the booster on the driver's side, if it'll fit, or if I should run it underneath the carpet on the passenger's side and drill a hole where the firewall starts to curve? I kind of like the idea of keeping the amp power on the same side as the battery, but if it's easier to run it through the existing hole on the driver's side, that's cool too.

Just wondering if anyone has any helpful advice before I tackle this project this weekend. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Are you talking about running a wire from your amp to the battery, I drilled a new hole in the firewall and used a grommet.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Yup, amp to battery. That's the way I've been leaning towards. Uses less wire to run to the battery, less to secure in the engine bay. Even with drilling a new hole, seems to be a little easier to me.

Would just any grommet that'd fit do the trick? Or is there any particular one I should pick up that'd be best?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I re-used a grommet on the drivers side near the brake booster. fit my 0/1 gauge wire without any issues, and is mostly waterproof (though water would come in through a million different places if I was that deep anyways).

Really any grommet that will hold the wire fairly securely will work just fine. Use RTV if you really want to seal it up (I am still testing my setup. When I know its going to be permanant I am going to seal up that hole with RTV).
Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 PM

I also have a 96 and ran it through the divers fire wall, much more available real estate there, then right up the interior trim and into the rear.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Drivers side, hood latch grommet. Easy

97+ there's a grommet on the passenger side and the cable goes by the kick panel fuse area.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:09 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I guess I'll just see what I have to work with when I get in there this weekend. I've scoped it out a little, but haven't seriously sat down to work on it just yet.