STUPID Previous owner issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Power Tech I-6 Engine H.O.
Default STUPID Previous owner issues

so i got the jeep on my lift for the first time since i bought it to chainge all the fluids (and i do mean ALL) and i first off noticed something that sent me into a whole new world off anger i had never before known. just below the flange that bolts the header to the down pipe is a huge dent in the exhaust, almost blocking it closed, above that, to keep the header quiet due to its newly found freedom caused by the gap, is a large wad of that muffler fix heat tape. on top of that, the header is cracked and fixed with the same tape. "ok" i say, cause i wanted to replace the header with a JY find post 2000 one anyway. i get looking some more, and every floor in the jeep is gone, rotted from the outside twards the center. i can live with that. started draining fluids. rear axel, milk. front axel, milk. transfer case, dry. i still dont know how this one works but, trans, filled with brake fluid!?! you betchya, clear and tastes like brake fluid. got the smell too. after a good flush i think i got it all. brake system fluid was a little yellowed, not too bad. coolent was 100% water. well, thats my rant, thanks for listening. what header is it that is better made than the 1995 4.0 HO, but avalible in the bone yard? i think its a post 2001.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I could'nt live with the no floors, I need somewhere to put my feet.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boyesreef
so i got the jeep on my lift for the first time since i bought it to chainge all the fluids (and i do mean ALL) and i first off noticed something that sent me into a whole new world off anger i had never before known. just below the flange that bolts the header to the down pipe is a huge dent in the exhaust, almost blocking it closed, above that, to keep the header quiet due to its newly found freedom caused by the gap, is a large wad of that muffler fix heat tape. on top of that, the header is cracked and fixed with the same tape. "ok" i say, cause i wanted to replace the header with a JY find post 2000 one anyway. i get looking some more, and every floor in the jeep is gone, rotted from the outside twards the center. i can live with that. started draining fluids. rear axel, milk. front axel, milk. transfer case, dry. i still dont know how this one works but, trans, filled with brake fluid!?! you betchya, clear and tastes like brake fluid. got the smell too. after a good flush i think i got it all. brake system fluid was a little yellowed, not too bad. coolent was 100% water. well, thats my rant, thanks for listening. what header is it that is better made than the 1995 4.0 HO, but avalible in the bone yard? i think its a post 2001.

Sorry to hear about all that. I think next time I would look over my future ride a little more in depth. That is quite the problem list. As far as the exhaust mani goes, pre '00 should fit. Which one is better, Im sure they are all the same. If not someone else may chime in. Best of luck.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Did you buy this Jeep sight unseen?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:54 PM

unfortunately, i bought the jeep when i was in a tight spot. no vehicle (got rearended and toteled last one) no time cause i had to get to work someway (live in boon docks) and the PO lied to me saying it was rust free and inspectable. i passed inspection by going to a shop that just kinda more or less sells the sticker.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boyesreef
unfortunately, i bought the jeep when i was in a tight spot. no vehicle (got rearended and toteled last one) no time cause i had to get to work someway (live in boon docks) and the PO lied to me saying it was rust free and inspectable. i passed inspection by going to a shop that just kinda more or less sells the sticker.
Understandable. Just let us know if you need any help.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:33 PM

thanks trs80, im trying to save it.