Old 10-19-2016, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default STT Pro vs. Duratracs

Hi All,

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but figured it fell under the "chat" category.

Anyway... I'm in the market for new tires. Really not happy with my BFG KO's. I've narrowed it down to STT Pro's vs. Duratracs and was curious what you guys think. I've caught great reviews about both, so I don't think I can really go wrong, but figured this may help out others if we get a discussion going.

My XJ is my DD and primarily on pavement. I also live in Michigan so I see every type of weather known to man. I guess my biggest thing is snow/ice/slush driving. Duratracs look pretty good and have the snow flake marking, so I figure they're solid in winter, but they run a little small to size. Coopers or an MT (again my XJ is my DD), but look great, and are a little cheaper.

Anyway, lets hear your guy's experiences. Maybe one of you will help me make up my mind here.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Grabber AT2 have great road manners, and especially impressive on snow.
Not all of them are snowflake marked, but my 235/75 are and I DD it. 20,000 miles so far and they're still good.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

I'm running Duratracs currently, they did amazing in the snow we had last year(looks like we are from the same-ish area). My next set will probably be the STT Pro though, now that I won't be DDing the Jeep.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For snow and ice you really need true winter tires.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Well I've been running the BFG TA KO's (the originals) and I must say I am not at all impressed. They balance like ****, and they are garbage on wet roads and snow.

I'm not gonna run summer and winter tires, I don't see a need for that. Duratracs seem to be the best bet with the winters we can get here, but the STT Pro's are so damn good looking, and at least they're still siped.

Anyone running the STT Pro's in the snow?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

I have 2 sets of the Duratracs and love them. Great all around tire and quiet. Good all weather street manners and offroad do way better than they should. Best pricing at Sam's Club if you have one near you.

No experience with the Cooper SST Pro but they look more M/T Mud Terrain and would probably be louder on the street and less useful in the dry and rain and light snow. But I do have Cooper tires and they are a very good company and tire but I don't have the SST Pro.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I ran General Grabber AT2's (and am running them this year)

They were pretty good with brand new tread last year, and they are severe snow rated just like the others. I have about 20-30K miles on them right now though and they are at about 30% tread. Still kind of sketchy on icy roads, pretty good on hardpacked snow, and great in slush and normal snowy roads. They look like a copy of the AT KO's but have performed much better in my opinion.

Definitely not a replacement for a winter tire though. All my friends say the Duratrac is a great compromise, and pretty good in the snow, but the soft sidewalls make it more puncture prone (lots of rocks in Colorado).

STT is a great tire but not sure about icy roads. In general, a 33 x 12.5 is going to suck *** in any on-road situation since the XJ weighs practically nothing.

EDIT:
Not sure how much you are lifted, but you shold really consider a set of cheap steel wheels and some dedicated studless snow tires. General Altimax Arctic's were absolutely amazing on my friends WJ, and he has a set of Nokians ready to go on for this winter.

Last edited by investinwaffles; 10-20-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

From the looks of it, the STT Pro is going to perform similar to an MTZ which is what I run. For what it's worth, my MTZ's perform AWESOME in the snow. I was ripping around on heavily snow covered roads in 2wd and my diff unlocked noooo problem. I ran 33" Maxxis bighorns before these which have a traditional mud tire tread pattern and holy crap were they scary.

I've heard great things about the duratracs and I tend to steer people towards these tires when they are DD rigs

I think you'll be happy with either tire you pick though.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

I'm currently at 3.5" bumping it to about 4.25/4.5" here pretty soon, and I'm running 31x10.5x15's. I'll continue running this size with the next set of tires until those wear out then I'm gonna regear and run 33's. I think I'm leaning towards the Duratracs just because of the snow rating. I may actually go with 32's in the Duratracs because I know they tend to run smaller than advertised.

I know the STT Pro's are a MT, and are probably a little louder, but all reviews say they are quieter than most. I just fell in love with them. Only negative review I found on these was that icey/packed snow wasn't very well.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

No tire is going to perform well on ice unless they're studded or wrapped in chains. I'd disregard any review like that.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:59 PM

Year: 2000

i have duratracs on my vehicle and i really like them.. good road manners, not loud and seem to be good in the sand. when i had them mounted the guy there said they you really need to keep up on rotating them or they will wear funny. never an issue for me because my jeep doesn't see enough miles a year to worry about it. a friend put them on his TJ and drives the hell out of it and has had them wear funny. he rotated them and they seemed to straighten out.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

You should have just asked me. I've used both tires on my XJ before I traded it in.

You said your XJ is a DD, so I recommend Duratracs. They are very good aggressive AT tires. The Discoverer STT Pros are very heavy. Your MPG will take a huge hit. Depending the size, you will need to re-gear with the STT Pros, but can get away without re-gearing with the Duratracs.

Both get excellent traction off-road. STT Pros do better, but that's because they're more knobby. Duratracs are more likely to spin. In terms of ride quality, Duratracs all the way.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

^^^Haha! Well I would have asked you if I had known that, but that definitely helps! I think I'll just go that route. Maybe if my XJ turns into less of a DD and more of an offroad vehicle, I'll go STT Pros, but until then Duratracs seem to be the better bet for my situation. The 2 ply side wall doesn't concern me much since I don't see many rocks here in Michigan.

And, EZ, I'm with ya there. With how crappy the BFG's are in winter conditions, I can probably handle most tires on the various winter conditions I see. I don't expect to find anything that will make ice or packed snow "disappear", but I'm sure some are better than others. But yes, ice is gonna be **** regardless of how great the tires are.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Question regarding the Duratracs, anyone currently running them in the 31x10.5x15 flavor and have a measurement of them installed with the weight of the jeep on em (current psi would help too). Again, I've heard they run small, and since I'm bumping up to about 4.25" I don't want them to look too small. If anyone can pass along that info, it would be appreciated. Unfortunately they don't make them in a 32 otherwise I would just get those.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Year: 2000

goodyear sits says they are 30.8" tall

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ac/sizes-specs
Attached Thumbnails STT Pro vs. Duratracs-duratracs.jpg