Still turning heads after 16 years

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Still turning heads after 16 years

Today I went a few miles up the road to Green's Produce to get a pumpkin and some hay to decorate the front yard for Thanksgiving. On my way up Bowen Road, I passed a newer 4-door black Jeep Wrangler that was all decked out. Doors off, lots of lights, custom flares, big wheels and tires, etc. Looked like he had about $15K in after the cost of the Jeep itself. Anyway, I passed him, went up to Arkansas Lane and turned left and went down to Green's.
I parked, went in to the outdoor area where the pumpkins are, and spent about 5 minutes picking one out. I grabbed a big one, and as I was carrying it up to the storefront, I looked over at the parking lot and the black Wrangler was parked near me with one open space between us. The guy (40's) was sitting in the front seat using his iPad to take pictures of my Cherokee. I went up and paid and when I came out of the store he was gone. He never came in, just followed me and took pictures.
It's funny how often the Cherokee gets stares. My wife notices it more than I do, but I guess it does look pretty good for a 16 year old battle wagon. Just wait till I get the new lift, rock rails, and bigger tires on there

Old 11-02-2014, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Old 11-02-2014, 01:44 PM

Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Man, it's always funny to see someone take pictures with an iPad, lol. Your XJ is pretty damn clean, man. Looks like you've kept real good care of it, and yeah it'll be even more awesome with a lift and bigger tires.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here the jeeps lifted are wranglers i see maybe 3 lifted xjs a week.The xj here are still stock looking mostly.I have only seen one lifted zj and that one looked good too wish i got a picture of it.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Clean looking XJ Living in Utah there are an abundance of lifted and heavily modified jeeps. On my street alone we have I lifted MJ, my XJ and YJ , a lifted TJ. Around the corner there is a lifted XJ , Mj, and WJ. And a few zj's

You even seen lots of older rigs like Full size Cherokees (basically a 2dr wagoner) wagoners , j series pickups ****** wagons ect....

Last edited by Tom95YJ; 11-03-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes its strange I get looks all the time on both of my Jeeps the GC and the XJ both for different reasons. The GC "Overland" for being 11 yrs.old and looking like new along with the original paint the black pearl metal flake with black/gray leather interior and every option Jeep offered.

Name:  IMG_0043_zps21b1b068.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  113.3 KB

The XJ because its just so off road ready and you can tell that it is used that way.

Name:  Jeep3-29-14026_zpsb3d98b62.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  77.1 KB
Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Clean looking XJ Living in Utah there are an abundance of lifted and heavily modified jeeps. On my street alone we have I lifted MJ, my XJ and YJ , a lifted TJ. Around the corner there is a lifted XJ , Mj, and WJ. And a few zj's

You even seen lots of older rigs like Full size Cherokees (basically a 2dr wagoner) wagoners , j series pickups ****** wagons ect....
I imagine the proximity to Moab helps with that. In Texas, we love our trucks and SUVs. It's hard to go more than a few blocks without seeing some kind of Jeep. JK/JKU are everywhere, the GC is uber popular, and it's amazing how many XJs are still on the road here. I usually see at least 2 or three others just driving to or from work.
There aren't too many lifted and decked out XJs in my immediate area. but once you get further out from town you see more that have been modded. And while I keep hearing that they are "selling like hotcakes" and "Setting sales records", I hardly ever see any of the new Cherokees on the road. There are over 5 million people living in the DFW area, and while every 20th vehicle I see is a Jeep, I only see a new Cherokee maybe once a week, if that. And we have 4 Jeep dealerships within 15 miles of where I live.

Fred, very clean rides. It's nice to see an older GC that looks like someone still cares about it.

I'm taking a couple extra days off during the Thanksgiving weekend to do some more stuff to mine. I have a big pile of goodies in the corner of the garage to go on.

• 100 square feet of FatMat
  • New Complete carpet kit
  • New Polk speakers for rear soundbar
  • New LED lightbar
  • Kelly's main cable and fuse kit
  • More cables to move winch solenoid to underhood area
  • RC 4.5 X-Series lift
  • 6 degree spring shims
  • JCR Rock Rails (deciding whether to paint black or Line-X)
  • SYE and front drive shaft to go in rear
  • New Spicer 5-760X U-Joints
  • New ball joints
  • Complete 4.10 gears sets with full rebuild kits
  • Brand new set of 31x10.5-15 Firestone Destination ATs on Canyon wheels that I found on Craigslist for $500.
Those tires will be moved to my Ravines, and my old 235/75 Destinations (with 70% tread left) will be moved to the Canyons and sold. Probably to my brother, who just picked up a white 97 XJ at auction for $1200.

Last edited by macgyver35; 11-04-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by macgyver35
I imagine the proximity to Moab helps with that. In Texas, we love our trucks and SUVs. It's hard to go more than a few blocks without seeing some kind of Jeep. JK/JKU are everywhere, the GC is uber popular, and it's amazing how many XJs are still on the road here. I usually see at least 2 or three others just driving to or from work. There aren't too many lifted and decked out XJs in my immediate area. but once you get further out from town you see more that have been modded. And while I keep hearing that they are "selling like hotcakes" and "Setting sales records", I hardly ever see any of the new Cherokees on the road. There are over 5 million people living in the DFW area, and while every 20th vehicle I see is a Jeep, I only see a new Cherokee maybe once a week, if that. And we have 4 Jeep dealerships within 15 miles of where I live. Fred, very clean rides. It's nice to see an older GC that looks like someone still cares about it. I'm taking a couple extra days off during the Thanksgiving weekend to do some more stuff to mine. I have a big pile of goodies in the corner of the garage to go on.[*]100 square feet of FatMat[*]New Complete carpet kit[*]New Polk speakers for rear soundbar[*]New LED lightbar[*]Kelly's main cable and fuse kit[*]More cables to move winch solenoid to underhood area[*]RC 4.5 X-Series lift[*]6 degree spring shims[*]JCR Rock Rails (deciding whether to paint black or Line-X)[*]SYE and front drive shaft to go in rear[*]New Spicer 5-760X U-Joints[*]New ball joints[*]Complete 4.10 gears sets with full rebuild kits[*]Brand new set of 31x10.5-15 Firestone Destination ATs on Canyon wheels that I found on Craigslist for $500. Those tires will be moved to my Ravines, and my old 235/75 Destinations (with 70% tread left) will be moved to the Canyons and sold. Probably to my brother, who just picked up a white 97 XJ at auction for $1200.
I used to live in Keller by the southlake border and worked at 4wp in coppell for a few years. Texans do love their trucks. my old YJ is somewhere around Justin. But I am not too close to moab its a 3-1/2hr drive but there's plenty of wheeling here so lots of jeeps and Toyotas. And dodges are the truck of choice here