Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

STILL searching for the right XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default STILL searching for the right XJ

So some of you may remember the 1998 XJ that I had decided to buy. It was a transplant from the south with 226k on it.
Long story short it was sold out from under me which was very frustrating but it is what it is and I have moved on. I have spent the last few weekends looking at A LOT of XJ's all of which have been a complete bust for one reason or another- mostly due to rust which the sellers said there was none. I've made it very clear before even coming to look at the jeep that if it has any signs of beginning to have major rust issues or existing major rust issues that I won't even start the engine and walk away. Clearly there are various opinions of what rust actually means.
So moving on to my latest and most promising discovery which is posted above. Apparently the only rust on the vehicle is on the front
Old 03-10-2017, 07:50 AM

Bumper. The head was replaced due to valve train noise and not because of an overheating issue. New head gasket (obviously) VC gasket (obviously) timing chain and all other parts listed in the ad. Any opinions regarding other possible reasons for the new head etc. would be appreciated. It has 189k on it.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by VT JEEPER
Bumper. The head was replaced due to valve train noise and not because of an overheating issue. New head gasket (obviously) VC gasket (obviously) timing chain and all other parts listed in the ad. Any opinions regarding other possible reasons for the new head etc. would be appreciated. It has 189k on it.
rrriiiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttttttt.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:29 AM

So should I avoid it like the plague?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by VT JEEPER
So should I avoid it like the plague?
I mean maybe that was the reason. Idk just seems strange to me. If it's not far I would still checkb it out...maybe she runs beautifully and you get it for. A better deal. You never know.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

It's a schlock repair job, silly to get that far into it and not finish it off with rings, bearings, etc. Which if you buy it you'll soon be replacing, lol.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

1. Engine runs great and has been maintained very well.
  2. Cylinder head, head gasket, camshaft and lifters ... have all been replaced.

Okay, class, which of these things is not like the other thing. Tommy? Yes, that's right, Tommy. "Maintained very well" is not like "replacing a ton of major components (including a camshaft????) and blaming it on valve noise". Very good.

I'd walk away. Too much money for a questionable repair of... what?

It looks really great - I love that color. But that's a stiff price for something that may have major engine problems. Get the price down to "I can buy this and still have money to rebuild the engine" territory, and you have something to consider.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 03-11-2017 at 06:29 PM.