XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Scams

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scams

Does anyone else watch craigslist for Cherokees and see a scam regularly? I see a scam at least monthly. Warning signs seem to be cell phone area code does not match location, price about half expected, and sometimes description obviously does not match picture. I've made this conclusion by responding to a few. One was the send me shipping money up front and the others don't answer. This is the one I saw tonight if the link works-

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/5468838795.html
Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 PM

And I'll deeply apologize to the individual if the list I referenced is not a scam. I have texted the person asking to see it.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:48 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Welcome to Craigslist, LOL
Old 02-28-2016, 09:52 PM

Yeah but what is the benefit to those who don't respond? Are they just collecting cell numbers and email addresses for telemarketers?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Originally Posted by roninofako
Yea I can't even recall how many scammers I had texting and emailing me when I was selling my old tires. All wanted to send me a cashier's check to my address and had some reason why they couldn't meet even though the first message they all sent was about being urgent to see the "items" that day.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:21 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Rich164
Yeah but what is the benefit to those who don't respond? Are they just collecting cell numbers and email addresses for telemarketers?
They could give a rat's *** about who doesn't respond.

They're phishing, man. Looking for *******es that don't GAF, or are too stupid to know better.

Rule of thumb, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.
If someone wants to send you something like a check or money order? Walk.
If they ask for more involved info, like where you live, etc...tell them to pound sand.
Basically, if anyone offers you anything other than your terms of sale, **** off.
If anyone asks you for something beyond a normal sale, **** off.

Not hard.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If its a out of state area code number skip it,If they miss spell the name or want next to nothing for it skip it.Or i have seen them post pictures of cars with the front plate blocked well my state dont run a run plate,Or they have a phone number stuck on the pictures thats a dead give away.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The big, immediate red flag on that listing is the single, tiny photo of a "built" 4x4. People selling built jeeps want prospective buyers to see all those value-added mods and parts in order to justify their asking price.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Further illustrating my point, I just found this one while cruising my local CL...

Same tiny photo of same jeep, same price, same scam.

http://killeen.craigslist.org/cto/5467789104.html
Old 02-29-2016, 06:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Originally Posted by roninofako

^^This!! CL is a great tool, once you learn how to wade through the BS and scammers (both of which are plentiful). Some are harder to spot than others, some are pretty obvious, like this one. In this one they used a horrible pic and copied a part of a legit ad which was posted earlier.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1966
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

i had someone try scamming me on CL, guy wanted me to be the grounds keeper for his house, he lived in when he was in the states, said he would send me a check, i was to deposit it in my bank account and then take $300 and send the rest to his housekeeper who lived in florida via a check from my account. i didnt have a bank account at the time so i took it to my local walmart and cashed it and asked for the address, when the guy asked why i didnt deposit it i said i didnt have a bank account and he started flipping out about i needed to put the money in my account. i called the cops and asked what to do, they said the guy was a scammer and if i did get any money out of him to keep it, so i ended up getting $2800 out of it.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Originally Posted by Maple__Man
i had someone try scamming me on CL, guy wanted me to be the grounds keeper for his house, he lived in when he was in the states, said he would send me a check, i was to deposit it in my bank account and then take $300 and send the rest to his housekeeper who lived in florida via a check from my account. i didnt have a bank account at the time so i took it to my local walmart and cashed it and asked for the address, when the guy asked why i didnt deposit it i said i didnt have a bank account and he started flipping out about i needed to put the money in my account. i called the cops and asked what to do, they said the guy was a scammer and if i did get any money out of him to keep it, so i ended up getting $2800 out of it.
Meanwhile on another forum, there is a guy telling the story about a CL scammer that screwed him out of $2800!!
Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1966
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

hey if the guy trys to get my bank account info and steal money from me then he deserves to get his money taken, the guy shouldnt have been an idiot and sent the check before verifying i had a bank account. his loss was my gain, and after i asked him if it was a scam he never replied and stopped contacting me, so no harm done i guess.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The scammer trick is to send a cashiers check which looks real,But as soon as the check is wrote they clean out the account so the check is no good.A bank will cash it thinking its good but after the hold time it bounces.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:43 PM

Crash Course! Impressive catch that you found the same photo listed in Kileen/temple craigslist.

Seller claims to be in Tampa though and military about to be deployed, must sell today!!

I wonder if the military would take this crap seriously and sting the scammer since she is posing and playing upon military service.

Quick Reply: Scams