Saw a fender bender today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check
Default Saw a fender bender today...

I was literally 1/2 a block away from my job this morning when I was slowing down for a stop light. It was snowing, and this particular stretch of road is a down hill portion, the slope stopping right at the light. As I was slowing down I noticed the driver in front of me start to move out of his lane, but not to change lanes. He was sliding down the hill, his ABS wasn't letting the wheels stop.

I had to laugh, the rubber on my light XJ isn't great, I'd consider it crappy to be honest. I had no issue getting my rig stopped, yet a newer car, with what appeared to be decent rubber, was having real trouble stopping.

In the end he couldn't get the car stopped in time, and he was not driving poorly. He barely tapped the vehicle in front of him, which was a large F250, but he connected nonetheless.

The driver of the F250 must've been nice, because I never saw any cops show up, and after a few short seconds to inspect his truck, I saw him drive off. to him for not being a tool when there was no real damage.

I have to think, though, that the car's ABS had something to do with the accident. Many cars both in front of us, behind us, and next to us were stopping without problem, although it was obvious that some ABS motors were working as later I saw a few cars slide halfway through the intersection even though the light was red.

Heh, we only got 1-2" of snow as well, so its not like there was tons on the ground.

This makes me glad my XJ has no ABS!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

glad to hear that no one was hurt and all went well.... mine has ABS... I think... it operates when it wants to.... generally when it isn't needed.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

ABS systems give people the idea that they can just hammer it and let the ABS do the work. I have a 2010 Focus and my ABS works pretty well but I use my brakes as if I dont have ABS and I stop WAY faster than letting the ABS just do the job.

The traction control system goes from really intelligent to What the hell is this stupid *** thing doing. so I tend to turn it off when driving.

Last edited by OttawaXJ; 01-27-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I hate ABS
couple days ago I was driving a ford freestar in the snow and I ended up going right past the road I wanted to turn in.
I said to myself if I was in my jeep that would not have happen lol

I guess I'm really used to non ABS brakes..
Old 01-27-2011, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
I hate ABS
couple days ago I was driving a ford freestar in the snow and I ended up going right past the road I wanted to turn in.
I said to myself if I was in my jeep that would not have happen lol

I guess I'm really used to non ABS brakes..
Same thing-ish happened to me in the ladies TJ. Skated right past the road I wanted to turn on, and it was barely slick.

I think her bald *** tires had something to do with that, but I still feel the lengthy rebellion by the brake pedal was mostly at fault.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Snow driving is easy. Double the stopping distance and take at least 10 MPH off the speed. Now that I've gotten used to the Jeep in terms of getting used to a new vehicle, it's not hard in the least....
Old 01-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

My wife has a honda odessy I cannot stand the "traction controll" system it has. When u are trying to accellerate and the front tires slip it cuts power and taps the abs. This is really annoying when trying to drive up my steep 100ft drive way. This system is so uselless in the snow that is has now become automatic for me to shut it off before every drive. I due have to say it works great on wet rainy roads. But not snow and ice.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The real purpose of ABS is to allow steering control in a panic stop, not really to shorten a stopping distance.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Bustedback
The real purpose of ABS is to allow steering control in a panic stop, not really to shorten a stopping distance.
If there is snow, a "panic" any action while driving will result in something/someone getting smashed up.
My brother's Blazer's ABS came on, on a dry road, causing him to be unable to stop at a red light until the ABS turned off in the middle of the intersection.
Not sure about new systems, but after dealing with two 90s ABS vehicles (that Blazer and my XJ) I really hate ABS.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Engine: 4.0

thumbs up to him..
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: I6 4.0

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
glad to hear that no one was hurt and all went well.... mine has ABS... I think... it operates when it wants to.... generally when it isn't needed.
Mine too. It will even kick on on dry pavement. Is there a way to shut the ABS off? Can I just pull the fuse or something?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Acesnines
Snow driving is easy. Double the stopping distance and take at least 10 MPH off the speed. Now that I've gotten used to the Jeep in terms of getting used to a new vehicle, it's not hard in the least....

I actually don't decrease my speed. Once all the traffic is out of my way, I enjoy a bit of high speed fun.

I love being able to drift through corners without chewing up my rubber.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Originally Posted by 1989cherokee
Mine too. It will even kick on on dry pavement. Is there a way to shut the ABS off? Can I just pull the fuse or something?
I wish I knew... mine will go so far as to suddenly kick on when I put my foot on the brake pedal to turn just the lights on as I downshift... that can get fun!

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee

I actually don't decrease my speed. Once all the traffic is out of my way, I enjoy a bit of high speed fun.

I love being able to drift through corners without chewing up my rubber.
who doesn't love that?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
who doesn't love that?
All the morons who are white knuckle on their steering wheel the moment a single snowflake becomes visable.

I love the look on people's faces when I deliberately power slide through a corner, or when I blast passed them because I know how to drive.

I don't suggest everyone try, but once you've had time to practice safely, its a blast.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Heh, before I got my new tires I was doing that all the time. I don't want to say that its a PROBLEM that I can't do that now, but yeah, it was fun re-enacting some great "World's Scariest Police Chases"

Quick Reply: Saw a fender bender today...