Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Sad day at the junkyard

While looking for some parts, i stumbled upon this at my junkyard. the body is still in good shape, it's a 1992 2 door 5 speed. no idea what's the issue with it, but it's not because it was in a wreck that's for sure, body is good. floor pans have seen better days but that's not an issue.

i asked the clerk it there was any way to buy a car in the yard and he said no. would you try to save it if that was in your junkyard? i really feel bad because i see so much potential in it

Old 02-13-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

Sounds like you need to talk to the boss, the title might be an issue too.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yes I agree title issue or they think it's worth more as parts.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

I agree. Looks like it should be parked in someone's drive way instead of a bone yard.

Did the clerk give a reason?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

i just called and asked for a manager, the lady said it's possible for a car to be sold but depends on the vehicle and price. the manager will call me at noon.

in canada we have no car title, i will need to look into that and how it works, but in case he tells me the only issue is that it can't be registered for the road again, i have no issue with that, it would be used off road only.

depends on the prices too, but i'm telling you most XJs i've seen come and go have only been stripped of stuff like the fan, grill, fenders. not much more, that's about 100-200$ in parts. they're then crushed with most of the stuff still attached.

how much would you offer, or pay for this? so i get an idea. i told myself 600$ max.

Last edited by Cane; 02-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I would loveeeeeeeee to have one of those! Looks like it's in pretty good shape too!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

i don't understand the person that sold this jeep to the junkyard. probably didn't know any better.

worst case scenario the engine and/or tranny is shot, best case the owner thought it was too rusty and didn't want to pay for repairs and just junked it. hope it's the latter
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I see perfectly good XJs in the junk yard all the time. What happens is that it breaks down and is sitting in the owner's yard. The owner doesn't know how to fix it and doesn't want to spend the money on it. After it sits there a while, they call the junk yard to come get it rather than deal with it. Or the guy's wife nags and calls. Or they try to sell it, get no bites and just give up. Or they're renters and decide to move, and they don't have the time or patience to deal with moving it or selling it. Or it gets left on Meemaw and Pawpaw's farm while the grandchild goes off to Californy to try to make it big in the movies, and they don't have the title. Or it's left on a property when someone buys the farm.

This one may be a little more rare than most, but it probably didn't matter to the owner. They just needed it gone.

I hope you can rescue it. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Banned

Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Also, while I realize that one is in Canada, in the US title wouldn't necessarily be a problem unless it was stolen. You can check the VIN on line to find out. If it's not stolen, in most states you would need to get a bill of sale, purchase a bond to insure against someone popping up and saying it's their vehicle and apply for a bonded title. If no one comes forward for a certain amount of time (usually 3 years) to claim it, your bonded title turns into a regular title, and you own it free and clear.

If you have a vehicle that is missing the VIN, you can even get a replacement VIN in some states. Missouri has a program for that to rehabilitate classic cars that were stolen decades ago and had the VIN popped off. The replacement VIN doesn't look anything like a real VIN, so it can increase the difficulty in selling it. But at least you can register, insure and drive it.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 6 cylinder

Even with a blown or missing engine or tranny, that XJ still might be worth buying it.

This whole thing reminds me of my old gear head days back a few decades ago.

There was this 1964 Plymouth 2-door sedan sitting in front of the local bone yard only a few blocks from my home. Peeked inside and it had a 4 speed stick. Asked the manager what the deal was with it? "Just got towed in ready to put it in the yard". Long story short, it had a blown 383 engine but the body was in good shape, so i bought it for a couple hundred bucks.
My buddy and me pushed it a few blocks to my garage.

Replaced the shot syncros in the tranny, pulled the blown engine then replaced with a 413 engine from one of my buddies Chrysler Imperial.
I rebuilt the 413 from scratch, holley 850 carb, edelbrock intake manifold, isky cam, aluminum flywheel/pressure plate and a bunch of other goodies.
That old Plymouth was a screamer. The only cars that gave me trouble were the large block vets.

Drove that car for a 5 or 6 years before i sold it. The good old days.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

They got one of these at the yard close to me. Rare site to see.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Cane - I have to agree that it looks well worth saving if you can. I have a '95 2 dr. that looked pretty much like that one when I started.

Regarding the title, years ago I bought a mid '30's MG that was a proverbial basket case. Nothing but a pile of parts but generally pretty complete. It had no title. I had to swear an affidavit to say it was parts from various cars and provide it to the MTO. It all went pretty smoothly.

Out of curiosity, are you dealing with Kenny U-Pull? I know they have several yards in Quebec. I deal with the one in Hamilton, Ontario and find them to be very good. It doesn't seem to matter what I buy ... the bill is always $54. (lol)

Good luck with it.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can't buy it whole at least get the header panel out and headlight wiring off it.It has the wagoneer one on it is why it has the 4 headlights and different grill on it.Even if you don't want it you can sell it and make a few bucks off it.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:23 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

Originally Posted by Cane
i don't understand the person that sold this jeep to the junkyard. probably didn't know any better.

worst case scenario the engine and/or tranny is shot, best case the owner thought it was too rusty and didn't want to pay for repairs and just junked it. hope it's the latter
Hey if they sell it to you for $600, I think that would be a no brainer. Worst case you part it out until you break even or fix it. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:39 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Looks good. In Ontario if a vehicle is branded as Irreparable then you're out of luck. The yards can change the brand (as the owners, obviously) Salvage titles can be fixed, certified Rebuilt and plated.

And yeah I've seen mostly good XJs in the yard here before, that or they were just beaten up (one had the passenger door held on with self tapping screws and sheet metal for hinges...). All of the Grands seem to get screwed!