Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rustys Dealer?

Hey guys im in the market for some hd steering upgrades and lca brackets and I think ive decided to go to Rustys Offroad. I took a look through the vendor section and couldnt find a dealer for rustys products. Anyone know if theres a rustys vendor on here or a way to get a good deal from rustys? Id like to show another member some love if at all possible. Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Just an FYI from someone who's bought Rusty's set up - skip it. Lots of slop and not the best quality. Rusty's springs are good, but that's the only thing I'd ever recommend from them. Plus their shipping is outrageous. If you're wanting to help a fellow CF member, talk to FrankZ about his Serious Offroad 1-ton set up. Very beefy.

Last edited by no rdplz; 04-29-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 AM

Year: 1992

You'll find out that their adjustable trac bars are weak. Mine broke going down the highway the other day. Barely over a year old. But the rest of the lift is alright.
Attached Thumbnails Rustys Dealer?-image-3739487601.jpg   Rustys Dealer?-image-2888522765.jpg   Rustys Dealer?-image-506074698.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Well damn. I dont really need to run a 1 ton setup tho just something a little better than stock since I dont wheel too often. I wrecked and broke an lca bracket off the axle so i planned on getting their hd lca brackets also. Any ideas on the best brand to run? I was just gonna get a new drag link and tierod and ends for now unless I find out my trackbar is bent like I think it might be :/
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM

I'm gonna try their 22mm trac bar and see how it runs just because their giving me a deal on it. It originally had the 11/16 and it just wasn't big enough
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

My rustys trac bar with HD mount broke at their weld just as I came off the freeway...lost control doing 35 and landed on the sidewalk...could only imagine 65 on the freeway.

One bad seed out of tons of people? Maybe but I'd stay away from their steering parts.

Shipping is horrible, but aside from that I like them.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by liftedjeepxj
My rustys trac bar with HD mount broke at their weld just as I came off the freeway...lost control doing 35 and landed on the sidewalk...could only imagine 65 on the freeway.

One bad seed out of tons of people? Maybe but I'd stay away from their steering parts.

Shipping is horrible, but aside from that I like them.
I guess it's one of those 'you get what you pay for' type situations. I'd pay a little more to know the welds and fabrication were done by experienced professions. Little more expensive but the peace of mind is priceless.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XJriot

I guess it's one of those 'you get what you pay for' type situations. I'd pay a little more to know the welds and fabrication were done by experienced professions. Little more expensive but the peace of mind is priceless.
I also have had rustys parts fail on 2 different Jeeps. I refuse to purchase anything made by rustys. Had a HD tierod thread bungs wallow out after a few months to the point where the tre would slide in and out. They wouldn't warranty it since the tierod was not bent. And on my YJ I had the main leaf on my right front spring snap when doing some slow rock crawling a week after the lift was installed. And on both rigs everything was installed per their specs. I did get a replacement spring but it took 6 months and by then I had RE Springs.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Rustys steering sucks period.

But I still recommend everything else rustys over zone, rc, or other low end brands.

I live right next to one of their largest dealers, I've met and spoke with rusty himself in person, and really support everything they do (with the exception of steering)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by Xj88
Rustys steering sucks period.

But I still recommend everything else rustys over zone, rc, or other low end brands.

I live right next to one of their largest dealers, I've met and spoke with rusty himself in person, and really support everything they do (with the exception of steering)
He was a dick on the phone to me and clown.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Old School CF Moderator

I met with him at a local event and he came off as a nice guy.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DMAXX
Well damn. I dont really need to run a 1 ton setup tho just something a little better than stock since I dont wheel too often. I wrecked and broke an lca bracket off the axle so i planned on getting their hd lca brackets also. Any ideas on the best brand to run? I was just gonna get a new drag link and tierod and ends for now unless I find out my trackbar is bent like I think it might be :/
If you're not looking at a 1-ton set up, I'd recommend a ZJ tie-rod. There are two things I don't like about Rusty's: 1) Their shipping. Simply outrageous. 2) Their steering products. Absolute junk. Other than those 2 things, they've got pretty good products. But, you do get what you pay for, so be mindful of that.
Check out Stone Offroad and email Jeff about getting new brackets for the LCA's.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xj88
I met with him at a local event and he came off as a nice guy.
Me too I met him at York jeep show and in worked at one of his biggest dealers in Md he was nice when you show interest in buying his stuff then when it comes to warranted he acts like his parts never have issues
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ

Me too I met him at York jeep show and in worked at one of his biggest dealers in Md he was nice when you show interest in buying his stuff then when it comes to warranted he acts like his parts never have issues
He tried to tell me that there was way to much thread coming out of my trac bar...there was only 1.5 inches. The trac bar end is 6 inches long...just trying to blame the broke end on something it was not! So far I have had terrible luck with trying to get parts warrantied out. And their communication is terrible
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Old School CF Moderator

I agree with nordplz.

Sounds like a zj tierod would be fine for you

Quick Reply: Rustys Dealer?