rugged ridge seat install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 sport
Engine: 4.0 6I
Default rugged ridge seat install

bought a rugged ridge direct replacement seat a few weeks back and finally got around to installing it. First thing it bolts to existing frame and the "denim" material feels almost part rubber. i have poured water on it and let it sit for a minute and none goes through the fabric, some type of vinyl. also, the instructions were wrong when it came to which direction to put the drop tabs on either driver side or passenger seat (they were reversed). luckily i have a good eye and noticed it would not have lined up right. another thing is, the seats shape and size look almost identical to OEM. however, you sit about an inch taller and the headrest does not come all the way behind your head. now this could be due to being use to 20 year old worn out seats, but we will see after they break in. other than that no issues and i am happy with how it turned out. I bought a dickies seat cover so the other side was black as well. So you can kind of see the difference between the rugged ridge (driver) and stock (passenger). Any questions just ask.

how the instructions show the brackets should be (wrong)

instructions

seat risers

busted oem seat

abused foam

how the brackets should be

Old 02-21-2019, 12:36 AM
Seasoned Member

seat installed

note similar to stock design

space by driver door and seat

space near seat belt side

unlike factory seats there is nothing covering the seat riser

shows the slight difference in height
Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I run that same model. I kind of wish I would have went with a Ultra with the adjustable headrest because it seems like the bolstering is wider. This model is pretty narrow if you are bigger. Overall I'm pretty happy with though I would love to go back with the OEM one.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by downs
I run that same model. I kind of wish I would have went with a Ultra with the adjustable headrest because it seems like the bolstering is wider. This model is pretty narrow if you are bigger. Overall I'm pretty happy with though I would love to go back with the OEM one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH09hkTcq8k
pretty sure i watched this video before i bought it. you had the same issues with the instructions telling you to put the brackets on backwards?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by raminboy
pretty sure i watched this video before i bought it. you had the same issues with the instructions telling you to put the brackets on backwards?
Yeah on my 95 the directions for the 97+ seats worked. At first I thought maybe one of the POs put 97+ seat brackets in there for some reason but now I'm guessing it's a typo on their directions.