Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Rubicon Trail Question

Hopefully I have posted in the right section of the forum
Anyways I am planning to run the Rubicon next year, will have sliders,lockers,skid plates. What I am wondering is will my 31" tires be okay? Do I need to run 33" tires?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

33's would be better. the trail is practically paved. we made it through all 14 miles or whatever in 24 hours. and that's with trail traffic, camping, and just general BSing. it was fun though

you'll have some fun trying it out on 31's though. make sure to have recovery points just in case you need a tug. and please for the love of god stay on the trail, don't bring glass containers, and don't litter. I saw FOTR volunteers out there and a sheriff in a built up JK
Old 10-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info, I have towpoints front and rear. I am not one to stray off the trail. Up here in the frozen north we to have dumba**es that think they can go anywhere, end up losing more trails because of lack of respect etc.
Are there bypasses for the extreme stuff on the trail?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

theres bypasses for the easy stuff. theres bypasses for the bypasses. most of the really difficult obstacles got blown up, modified, or filled in last year. it's a great experience and you will struggle on 31's. I think Cadillac (the exit) is the only thing without a bypass. you might have to get pulled up that hill. just go with someone who has 35's and can pull you. it's important to go with someone who knows the trail somewhat. most of it is clearly marked but some of the bypasses look like they're off-trail but they're not

I think I saw a 4runner on 31" km2's and still IFS going through the trail. you'll have fun. 33's and 4.56 gears are a smart choice though. you'll have a much happier experience and you'll get to try more obstacles
Old 10-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Banned

Once again thanks for the advice. Sounds like I will be purchasing 33" tires prior to going. I was planning on registering for either the jeepers or jeep Jamboree.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

eh. those trips are not for me. I prefer small groups of 4-8 so we can move quickly through the trail. I was up there for the Toyotathon and it was a bit much with the trail traffic. but if you have patience and a couple bucks for registration that's the best way to go
Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 PM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991

I did it a few years ago in my wrangler with a small lift and 31s and did not need to get pulled off anything. Caddilac was fine. I did bang up my sides on some good size boulders but made it thru. Spider lake is so awesome. As mentioned there bypasses for most of the hard stuff. Only issue was lots of people some cool but alot of drunk jerks at night which did add for some great entertaiment to watch them destroy their rigs on the hard stuff but loud at night which got annoying when trying to sleep Enjoy. It should be on every jeepers bucket list to do.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ck1
did not need to get pulled off anything. but loud at night which got annoying when trying to sleep.
that all depends on what lines you dare to take

I never expect to get good sleep on the rubicon. theres just so many people. and I am one of those who loves to wheel at night! because the guys with small rigs and slow driving are usually camped out by then...