Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Roof rack bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Roof rack bolts

I just joined and this is my first post. I just got my Cherokee painted white. (it was red.) The BOZO at the paint shop took weather stripping, rook racks and other item OFF of my car in order to paint it. No problem. But he didn't put it all back together. I have 2 bolts missing from my roof rack and I can look down into the hole and see the headliner. This is going to be a disaster if I don't get this back together before the rain or even a car wash. Does any one have some advice on how to fix this in a water-tight manner? (Preferrably without removing the headliner.)

Thank you!
Attached Images    
Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Vinny Bobo
I just joined and this is my first post. I just got my Cherokee painted white. (it was red.) The BOZO at the paint shop took weather stripping, rook racks and other item OFF of my car in order to paint it. No problem. But he didn't put it all back together. I have 2 bolts missing from my roof rack and I can look down into the hole and see the headliner. This is going to be a disaster if I don't get this back together before the rain or even a car wash. Does any one have some advice on how to fix this in a water-tight manner? (Preferrably without removing the headliner.)

Thank you!

if you dont think you need the bolts you can just silicone the holes real good. shouldn't let any water in at all. or take one to the hardware store and get a like bolt with a screw type head

welcome to CF
Old 08-31-2009, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What year is your XJ?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by winston427
What year is your XJ?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am currently out of town on business and will not be home until Thursday night. When I do get home I will take the rails off of my 87 parts Jeep and see how the factory sealed the holes. Pm me your address and I will send you the bolts that your missing.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

i wouldn't mind removing the stock roof rack rails and mount a custom mount for a future roof basket. It would be nice to know the bolt size and thread pattern. BTW I am a waterproofer if you find it leaks use some caulking or silicone and put it in the hole and screw the bolt in and it should create a tight seal.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

You can use commonly-available 1/4"-20 rubber well nuts, and 1/4"-20 flat head screws (make them at least 3/4" long, so they can reach the brass insert in the well nut.)

Seal the well nut against the metal and the threads of the screw to the insert using clea silicone sealer - I typically use "Auto Glass Sealer" by Permatex for this little job.

Lift the roof rack rail and insert the well nut. Lay the rail back down, insert the screw, and tighten to about 7-10 pound-feet (you don't need a lot on a rubber well nut.) Apply the silicone to the outside of the well nut before you drop it in the hole, apply some more to the threads of the screw before you drop it in the hole.

You can go ahead and replace all of the screws in this manner - the OEM screws use some silly thread you can't find anywhere else (and two of them - with matching well nuts - will probably cost more than the regular 1/4"-20 well nuts and matching screws.)

I advise the use of brass or CRES screws, so you don't get rust streaks. You can use either flat head (fit into a countersink) or oval head (ditto) screws - but flat head would be preferred.

How do I know this? I peeled the roof rack off of my 88, and had to seal the holes somehow until I can get around to doing something better...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 AM

Thank you for the good advice.