Removing Roof rails?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO I6
Default Removing Roof rails?

A few of the rubber strips running north/south on my roof were peeling back so I pulled them, but the roof looks bad now. Probably needs to be sanded and painted.

I see some people (not that many) have removed their stock roof rack rails and cross bars. I really like that look and hoping to get some input on going that route.

I'm thinking about pulling the rails and cross bars, sanding the roof, and spraying painting it. I've heard good things about using bed liner, but not sure I want to go black on the roof. Anyone done their roof a different color? Hood has some oxidation on it too so maybe I could do roof and hood the same color and go for a 2-tone look. post pics if you've done this please.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee

I fixed the rust spots on my roof. Primed it and applied bedliner. Left my roof rack on. My XJ is dark green so the black is not noticeable. I think you can get bedliner in different colors, check the Web. Sorry for the crappy pic, I think I have the darkest garage in creation LOL. Guess I didn't really answer your question regarding two tone paint. You can get an idea of what bedliner on the roof looks like. If you pull the rack I believe you will need to seal the bolt holes with something that will hold up. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Roof rails?-img_00000190.jpg  

Last edited by CanXJ; 05-09-2014 at 06:37 PM.