XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Harbor freight: Too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Harbor freight: Too good to be true?

I've been lookin at the harbor freight ads in JP magazine. I'm specifically lookin at the $99 wire welder. I've read some reviews online but I keep finding mixed reviews. Anybody have experience with that welder or HF in general? It seems like their tools are too cheap to be any good.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

My rule for HF is that anything you buy there inevitably turns into a hammer. Especially power tools.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by IJM
My rule for HF is that anything you buy there inevitably turns into a hammer.
So it's a good place to buy hammers?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by IJM
My rule for HF is that anything you buy there inevitably turns into a hammer. Especially power tools.
Well i guess next time im in the market for a welder shaped hammer i know where to go haha
Old 05-05-2014, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

IMO they sell limited-use, disposable tools. If I need something quick and dirty then I have no problem buying at HF, and I understand what I'm getting. If I want a good-working, nice tool that will last then no.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Those flux core welders SUCK! My buddy worked at HF and got one for cheap. We've used it for a few small things and it's just a PITA no matter what you're doing. The low setting is too low, and the high setting is too high. I'm not an experienced welder by any means but after using that thing once I made up my mind that it won't work for me.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

I agree with some of the other posts here. If you need a higher end tool for the long haul, go elsewhere. However, it's really hard to beat their prices, especially combined with their coupons. They've got a lot of odds and ends that you can't get cheaper at other stores.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

My take on HF is if I need a tool that I might use once or twice a year, then it might make sense. If I need something that will last, I usually look elsewhere.

However, I did purchase one of their torque wrenches after my very old trusty Craftsman bit the dust. I have only used it for about a year, but it is still holding about as accurate as you could expect a clicker style to hold and it was far cheaper than any other that I have seen out there.

Who knows! They could be getting better!

I remember back in the day (I am dating myself here) but electronics imported from Japan were considered inferior and cheap. Boy has that ever changed.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

My rule of thumb for HF is similar to you guys:

If it's a power tool, no. (Drill)

If it's a simple tool, yes. (Hammer)

If it has a sharp edge, no. (Drill bits, saw blades, cut off wheels)

You get the point.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:25 PM

If I want to get into welding (never welded before) would their wire welder be a good purchase since I don't have access to another one and just want to give welding a try? If I end up using it enough to break it then I'd buy another one.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

If I were you, I would check out craigslist first.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
However, I did purchase one of their torque wrenches after my very old trusty Craftsman bit the dust.
Sounds like a familiar story. Did the dog in the ratchet fail?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Harbor Freight is awesome!
There prices are incredible, most of there stuff is pretty good - amazing for the price, but I think it's all Chinese, so don't expect it to last forever - best buys are things that wear out anyway (cutting/ grinding wheels, batteries, ??)

However, I bought their 300$ MIG welder on sale @ $195, about 6-7 years ago, haven't really had any problems (well except it didn't come with a plug, so I wired it to the fuse box - 2 phase - 220) If yours is 220 - make sure you get the wires in the right order, or it will run funky.
I haven't used it for a year, but I'm sure If I hook it back up it will work.
I would look at most of their stuff (especially the smaller/ cheaper stuff before buying), but I would feel pretty safe on buying their welders.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-05-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: more
Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 PM

I call harbor freight the one time use store. If its just something you need like once a year your probably fine and it will last through a few uses. If you plan on everyday use go buy a good one. That being said their hand tools I believe are ok for a shade tree mechanic that takes care of their stuff.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by frantic29
I call harbor freight the one time use store. If its just something you need like once a year your probably fine and it will last through a few uses. If you plan on everyday use go buy a good one. That being said their hand tools I believe are ok for a shade tree mechanic that takes care of their stuff.
Some of their "Professional/Heavy Duty/Industrial" power-tools aren't bad either. Definitely not up there with real professional-grade stuff but as good or better than many consumer grade tools and often cheaper than "name brand" consumer-grade tools (especially when on sale). Though it is usually best to toss out any included "consumables" (bits, blades, grinding wheels, sanding pads, welding wire/tips, etc.) and get some good stuff.

I've got a Harbor Freight (Chicago Electric) "Industrial" worm-drive circular saw and it is pretty much identical to a Skill HD77 (except for the color) for half the price (reg price, I got it on sale and used a 25% off coupon so it ended up only being about $50 while the Skill costs $170).

Quick Reply: Harbor freight: Too good to be true?