Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 L
Default Removing muffler?

Hey y'all. Head and f-150 today w/ the cut but he just unbolted the muffler. I thought about it on my 2001 sport and looked and I have a flange. I looked around here and I see the word "cutting" a lot. Do not a lot of XJ's have this? When I remove the muffler tomorrow, (this is gonna sound stupid) it's better to unbolt since I can and not cut correct? Oh, and yes! I'm just gonna leave the cat. Last question, there is a hanger just after the muffler that is welded to the pipe, has a rubber block then is screwed into the floor of the xj. How do I go about removing this hanger? Hoping to make this thing sound nice! Thanks a lot!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Just leave the muffler on, it's going to be crazy loud and **** people off, and you won't gain anything from removing it. Do you really want the attention of Officer Friendly and his magic ticket book?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cf1k1
Hey y'all. Head and f-150 today w/ the cut but he just unbolted the muffler. I thought about it on my 2001 sport and looked and I have a flange. I looked around here and I see the word "cutting" a lot. Do not a lot of XJ's have this? When I remove the muffler tomorrow, (this is gonna sound stupid) it's better to unbolt since I can and not cut correct? Oh, and yes! I'm just gonna leave the cat. Last question, there is a hanger just after the muffler that is welded to the pipe, has a rubber block then is screwed into the floor of the xj. How do I go about removing this hanger? Hoping to make this thing sound nice! Thanks a lot!

Back pressure man, lol i ran around without one (just cause i broke it off out in the woods) i have magnaflow on now, but removing your muffler will give you No gains, it honestly gave me head aches driving it without one ( i drive with windows down always ) you will also breathing in fumes alot
Old 06-20-2011, 05:14 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

i used to run a borla cat back on mine, tbh if it aint broke dont fix it, if you need to replace it try a performance muffler instead so as said previusly you get some back pressure in the system.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: I-6 4.0 L

That's why I'm not cutting it. If I dint like it, muffler bolts right back in. And this may give me the excuse to actually do a new exhaust (I.e. Dynomax or cherry bomb). But with the backpressure, my rig is 2001 and doesnt need backpressure. They are able to adjust fuel flow to math the stociometry. It's the obd1 that needs back pressure. That "myth" has been busted a lot. And I'm not looking for any gains, just wanna see what it sounds like. And down here and south Florida, we have a lot of kids driving ricers so all you hear are fart cans. The ticket books don't come out often down here when it comes to the noise violation. The police mostly car about the radio to loud.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

I ran without a muffler for a couple months. Never attracted five o but it sounded like crap. Crazy amount of drone even with the pipe exiting the under carriage. Sounded cool at idle though...

IMO don't waste your time trying to unbolt the muffler. Running with no muffler should be a "get you home" fix.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by cf1k1
That's why I'm not cutting it. If I dint like it, muffler bolts right back in. And this may give me the excuse to actually do a new exhaust (I.e. Dynomax or cherry bomb). But with the backpressure, my rig is 2001 and doesnt need backpressure. They are able to adjust fuel flow to math the stociometry. It's the obd1 that needs back pressure. That "myth" has been busted a lot. And I'm not looking for any gains, just wanna see what it sounds like. And down here and south Florida, we have a lot of kids driving ricers so all you hear are fart cans. The ticket books don't come out often down here when it comes to the noise violation. The police mostly car about the radio to loud.

if b/p isnt a problem and 5-o aint to much to worry about, take it off stick a cherry bomb on it and enjoy.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I wouldn't do it only because that put plenty of fumes directly under the truck.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI

I had both a dynoma vt and a cherrybomb ( purple horny) and I am far mor impressed with my aero turbine 2525xl muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using CherokeeFM
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Dont do it i had it like that for a few days and absolutely hated it only had mine off cause i was putting a new one on and ran out of welding rods. IMO it sounds like ****