Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear DS explosions..lets hear your stories!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear DS explosions..lets hear your stories!

The lower u-joint on my rear DS exploded on the trail today before I even put it in 4wd

So I pulled it out, put it in 4wd and finished the trail with fwd like a boss.

Let's hear about your rear DS explosions!

Rear DS explosions..lets hear your stories!-image-3833312307.jpg
Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

My 07 dodge mega cab 3500 diesel blew a front one doing 80 after yesterday hauling 50,000 lbs through a plowed field. I almost shi! My pants
Old 09-18-2011, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

You may want to consider some preventive maintenance on your vehicle, not as exciting, but a lot less headaches.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Late last year on a winter ride I was climbing a rock ledge covered in ice and got a little heavy on the skinny pedal, bounced the rear tires a few times and broke both ears off the yoke of my Tom Woods shaft and killed a front locker in the process. Rear shaft bounced around and beat a hole in my muffler and dented the floor. I was left with no wheel drive and had to be pulled out. This was in the first 30 minutes of the ride.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:30 PM

The preventative maintenance comes when I can afford it. The new DS is gonna have to go on a credit card ugh.

I was waiting to upgrade this winter but the time is now I guess. Gonna look at getting a Tom Woods DS though now.

But hey, when this one broke it knocked some rust off my muffler so that's nice lol.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:07 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

I was traveling back from Arkansas to Wyoming in I-80. I was probably about 5 hours outside of Wyoming when my u-joint went. It bounced and put a nice dent under the Jeep. The dog ended up in the front seat real quick like, she was freaked. Pulled over, pulled it off and continued my journey in FWD for about 2 hours. Ended up having to have a buddy come get me with a trailer after it wouldn't start when I stopped for gas. When it rains, it pours. That sucked. Though, it did allow me to by a SYE and make me go higher and long arm. Of course now I am having all sorts of other issues!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What's going on Bo?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by afbond03
I was traveling back from Arkansas to Wyoming in I-80. I was probably about 5 hours outside of Wyoming when my u-joint went. It bounced and put a nice dent under the Jeep. The dog ended up in the front seat real quick like, she was freaked. Pulled over, pulled it off and continued my journey in FWD for about 2 hours. Ended up having to have a buddy come get me with a trailer after it wouldn't start when I stopped for gas. When it rains, it pours. That sucked. Though, it did allow me to by a SYE and make me go higher and long arm. Of course now I am having all sorts of other issues!
I almos thought I want gonna be thumbing it home to grab the pickup and tow the XJ but it came through. How fast can one safely travel in 4hi when the rear DS goes out? Id read that you can overheat/explode the tcase so I kept it at 25-30 the entire 75 mile trip home.

Hah mine died once on the way home... Now it's acting like the fuel pressure regulator is going out. This thing has been a nightmare the last couple months. DW, fuel pump, tps, coolant temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator (maybe), and now a broken DS.

By next spring though it'll have a rebuilt engine/trans, 5.5-6.5" LA, bumpers/winch, rack, lighting and numerous other odds and ends.