Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o
Default Really you take it to a shop

I don't think some of use are doing a good job or maybe the newer generation of jeepers are different. I have no problem giving advice to someone who dose the work them selves. But more and more people talk about taking it to a shop. I thought part of the Jeep thing was to turn your own wrench and customize your Jeep the way you want. Not have your local shop maintain your rig and customize it how they want. I am just at a loss.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

yea,i coudnt have someone else workin on my jeep,unless it like a motor rebuild but ill be there everyday watchin over it(i dont have the tools or skill for it.....yet) im only 17 and i already do all my repairs to my jeep,even im not sure my dad knows how,but yea i know exactly where your comin from
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalxj
I don't think some of use are doing a good job or maybe the newer generation of jeepers are different. I have no problem giving advice to someone who dose the work them selves. But more and more people talk about taking it to a shop. I thought part of the Jeep thing was to turn your own wrench and customize your Jeep the way you want. Not have your local shop maintain your rig and customize it how they want. I am just at a loss.
Doesnt make any sense to me either. My buddy pays 60$ to get his oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer. He just had a kid and moneys tight so he finally took me up on my offer of teaching him.

45 minutes including my mandatory scotch breaks later we were done and he was like "I paid 60$ plus tax for THAT?"

I think its laziness, fear, or peoples need to simply spend money for no apparent reason.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

Probably the same guys that are Accountant's and Attorney's ridin' their Harley's.....showing their middle finger to the "establishment".
Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Only thing I take my Yeep into the shop for is a oil change. We have a local place called "Cafe De Lube" (lol) It's like a small coffee shop that also does oil changes. Pretty neat idea. Costs me $35 w/ fluid top offs & a cup of coffee. It partially has to do with being lazy, but I also don't always have time, as I work 6 days a week. Nice to be able to drink some coffee & read a paper while im waiting in a small cafe type atmosphere... Different strokes for different folks...
Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 91/96

I learn how to fix the jeep when I break the jeep.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

I use to take my 00 Saturn for oil changes it was a dd and I didn't want to get under it. Well they took off the trans filter thinking it was an oil filter put a new one on and never refilled the fluid. There are picks on my profile of me running it over with it having a blown trans. Last time I went to a shop except tire balancing.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 ho

Originally Posted by brutalxj
I use to take my 00 Saturn for oil changes it was a dd and I didn't want to get under it. Well they took off the trans filter thinking it was an oil filter put a new one on and never refilled the fluid. There are picks on my profile of me running it over with it having a blown trans. Last time I went to a shop except tire balancing.
thats the types of things im afraids gonna happen if im not doin my own work on it
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

I would never take my jeep to a shop for the oil change, however for some of the more mechanically technical jobs I would... just cuz I'm an 18 year old college kid and this is my DD so I kinda need it done right and quick the first time cuz I commute to school. But if it wasn't my DD... it wouldnt even know what a shop looks like lol.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

That's why you are a member of this form. So you can get all the info you need to do it right the first time and we are always here to answer any question. The search icon is useless unless you use it.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

I know, I also don't have ANY of the tools required for those types of jobs. I will say though that for some reason I have been a lot more willing to just jump in and tinker with things on my jeep. I have already done a lot of stuff by myself on my jeep that I wouldn't have on my old car. Idk what it is about my jeep that just makes me want to tear it apart lol. I will say that I am very thankful for this site and everyone on it for helping me with what I needed.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Tools cost way less then taking something to a shop. Most times you can buy the basic tools you need just in the money you save on your first repair.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

The last time I took any vehicles to a real shop was when I couldn't reproduce any symptoms of a misfire and couldn't narrow down CEL codes. My buddie does have a large shop with a lift, good welder, and any tool I don't have. He charges me a small amount to use his stuff and get advice when I need it.

Anyway, last time it was on my fiance's one and only car, so I coudln't afford to take any time to do it myself.

Took it to a dealership and had them run diagnostics. It was $100, but I got the information I needed. Her truck was back on the road that day, so I feel that was the best route for me.

If they had saying "X" needed to be fixed or replaced you can be damn sure I'd have done the work myself.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

their money, their choice. what u guys refuse to understand is that some people just are not interested in knowing how to fix a vehicle. you can be a dude and not like wrenching.
some people enjoy driving more than fixing.
a lot of people join the forums to ask one question they had, because they wanna learn from the real experts instead of going to a non-brand specific mechanics. our gift is being able to help them. not bash them.
these people might not write back to say how they fixed their problem. they might get interested in knowing how to fix problems after that one incident, but they also may not.
not everybody is a jeepaholic. many people drive jeeps. and not for wheeling purposes.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

I can honestly say from a dad with 3 kids and a full time job along with coaching 2 sports teams and playing sports pretty much all year round time is tight. I have considered taking the jeep to a shop not just because I didn't know how to or want to but because I just don't have the time anymore. The poor jeep needs an exhaust rebuild, some front end work and a few minor things but I'll be damned if I have the time to do it right now. Now that it's not my DD I can finally do some work without the need to turning it around in a couple hours in fear of needing to get to work on monday, or to some other place I gotta be at. For some it's simply about time and that's it. Life get's busy and everyone has different things going on in their daily lives. I'll never think different of a jeeper because they don't have time to turn a wrench everytime it needs something. Life happens we do what we can when we can.

When I first got my jeep it took me a full day to do my lift, 2.5 days to do a motor swap. If I had those things to do right now I'd have to take it to a shop not by choice but simple fact of no time.

Last edited by okcjeeper; 12-30-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Really you take it to a shop