Old 12-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l
Default Rate my wish list!

Jeep newb alert! Here’s my ride:

I have a stock ’93 XJ 2.5L. I am not a hardcore wheeler. I’m interested in building my XJ into a hunting & fishing rig that’ll handle mild-to-medium difficulty offroading and trails while also being comfortable to drive on the highway. No extreme rock crawling here. The XJ is also my winter DD.

For a more detailed background on me and my XJ, check out my intro thread:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f8/how...dakota-219903/

With that said, here’s what I’m looking at:

Front Locker: Dana 30 Eaton E-Locker 19818-010 | 27 Spline (3.73 & Up) $850.00

http://www.drivetrainshop.com/Eaton_...-19818-010.htm

Rear Locker: Chrysler 8.25" OX Locker | 27 Spline (2.73 & Up) $859.00

http://www.drivetrainshop.com/OX_Loc...825-273-27.htm

2.5″ HD Ultimate XJ Old Man Emu Hybrid Kit $1339.00

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/22-5-...mu-hybrid-kit/

OR
Old Man Emu 2" Suspension Kit, Jeep XJ Cherokee, 1984-01 $969.00

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/prod...erokee-1984-01

In addition to these would include basic armor/skid plates, etc., and also recovery gear. I’ve considered aftermarket bumpers & grill guards but I’m thinking that they are unnecessary for my purposes and that the weight of them would hit my MPG too much. That’s the other thing, I’m happy with the MPG of my four-banger and I want to keep that as high as possible.

The idea behind the 2” to 3” OME lift was to give the XJ a suspension that would help get over the type of obstacles I’ll be facing but also be smooth on pavement. Kind of a best of both worlds thing. I’ve read the sticky on modding/wheeling advice and so I’ve been taking the Jeep out in it’s current form and seeing what I like and what I would like to change, and this list is what I have come up with. I know these are expensive mods, but I'm willing to spend the money to do it right the first time and have the best quality.

What do you think? I’m open to criticism and suggestions. Am I missing something?
Old 12-04-2015, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

If you plan to get bigger tires with your lift add gears to the list. Especially since you're getting full case lockers anyway might as well do them both at once.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 4BangerDanger
Am I missing something?
What MPG do you get with the 2.5? FWIW I'd still look into an easy/cheap swap, MPG may not change much, especially once you lift and the 2.5 will be trying to work harder.

Last edited by jay_sco; 12-05-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
If you plan to get bigger tires with your lift add gears to the list. Especially since you're getting full case lockers anyway might as well do them both at once.
Do I need bigger tires? I was considering staying with stock rims and 235s. I should have 4.10 gears since that is what most of the 2.5's came with. Would you still recommend re-gearing?

Originally Posted by jay_sco
What MPG do you get with the 2.5? FWIW I'd still look into an easy/cheap swap, MPG may not change much, especially once you lift and the 2.5 will be trying to work harder.
I'm getting about 19-20 on the highway and 16-17 in town. I live in a hilly area so I've been content with that. I know those numbers probably aren't much different from the 4.0L but it's better than my pickup so I haven't complained too much. I was under the impression that there was no such thing as an "easy" or "cheap" engine swap... Or am I wrong about that?

I was hoping that the 2.5 could handle a mere 2-3" lift, or am I wrong about that too?
Old 12-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Stock 4:10 axles, Drool..
Old 12-05-2015, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Model: Cherokee

I was under the impression that there was no such thing as an "easy" or "cheap" engine swap... Or am I wrong about that?

I was hoping that the 2.5 could handle a mere 2-3" lift, or am I wrong about that too?
You're right. I was assuming that a 4.0 would be an almost direct swap. Just looked at a couple other threads on the subject, turns out I was mistaken.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Do I need bigger tires? I was considering staying with stock rims and 235s. I should have 4.10 gears since that is what most of the 2.5's came with. Would you still recommend re-gearing? I'm getting about 19-20 on the highway and 16-17 in town. I live in a hilly area so I've been content with that. I know those numbers probably aren't much different from the 4.0L but it's better than my pickup so I haven't complained too much. I was under the impression that there was no such thing as an "easy" or "cheap" engine swap... Or am I wrong about that? I was hoping that the 2.5 could handle a mere 2-3" lift, or am I wrong about that too?
here is what mine looked like with 235s and 3" lift. I think they look too small personally but it's all a matter of opinion.

Rate my wish list!-image-922379969.jpg
Old 12-05-2015, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L

The 2.5l will struggle bad as soon as you start to add weight and big tires.

If you're planning on doing full case lockers I would regear to 4.88s at the same time. This will wake that little 4cyl up, but seriously knock down your top end. Probably wouldn't be very good on the highway.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

but I'm willing to spend the money to do it right the first time and have the best quality.
JMHO, that engine will always be the weakest link until it tosses a rod, might want to sell it and build something else. You could also just keep your current ride and use it for parts.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member

here is what mine looked like with 235s and 3" lift. I think they look too small personally but it's all a matter of opinion.

Attachment 280052
Thanks for the pic for reference! IMO it looks good.

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
The 2.5l will struggle bad as soon as you start to add weight and big tires.

If you're planning on doing full case lockers I would regear to 4.88s at the same time. This will wake that little 4cyl up, but seriously knock down your top end. Probably wouldn't be very good on the highway.
Do you think the 2.5L will still struggle if I only do the lift and add some armor? Leave wheels stock? How much weight do lockers add?

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
JMHO, that engine will always be the weakest link until it tosses a rod, might want to sell it and build something else. You could also just keep your current ride and use it for parts.
What makes you say that? Not arguing, just trying to learn. I had thought the 2.5L was pretty reliable.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the pic for reference! IMO it looks good. Do you think the 2.5L will still struggle if I only do the lift and add some armor? Leave wheels stock? How much weight do lockers add? What makes you say that? Not arguing, just trying to learn. I had thought the 2.5L was pretty reliable.
no problem. And the 2.5 just doesn't have the power I think is why he says it's the weakest link. I think there's a guy on here outlaw something stroking a 2.5. Neat idea if you ask me. Armor can add a lot of weight depending on what you add and I know my locker didn't really add any weight at all, but I have an auto locker.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L

Why would you lift if if you don't have intentions of adding bigger tires?

Armor will add a lot of weight quick, lockers not so much.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
Why would you lift if if you don't have intentions of adding bigger tires?
Mainly for ride quality and to be able clear rocks easier. The trails I'm on tend to be rocky so it'd be nice to have just a little more clearance. I have read that OME lifts improve ride quality both on and off road. The stiff ride is probably my biggest complaint with my XJ.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Mainly for ride quality and to be able clear rocks easier. The trails I'm on tend to be rocky so it'd be nice to have just a little more clearance. I have read that OME lifts improve ride quality both on and off road. The stiff ride is probably my biggest complaint with my XJ.
bigger tires add even more clearance. And even if you lift but you don't add bigger tires the axles are the same height off the ground and can get caught up.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

bigger tires add even more clearance. And even if you lift but you don't add bigger tires the axles are the same height off the ground and can get caught up.
AH! My Jeep newbieness has flared up. I should have realized this but it just didn't register in my brain.

Well, what would be my best options? I want something that'll work for my basic offroad needs while still comfortable on the highway and that gets the best mileage a Jeep can get. And I want to be unconventional and stick with the 2.5L. I know, I know. I just like to be different. Do I just leave it stock?

Quick Reply: Rate my wish list!