Sponsored by: DashLynx

Random fuel pump / electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Random fuel pump / electrical issue?

I have a 1996 xj 4.0L I6 4wd that has been giving me headaches with an intermittent shut down. I have replaced all the relevant relays (ASD, Fuel Pump), I have replaced my fuel pump and filter, CPS, Distributor, rotor, and ignition coil.

I have just ordered a new PCM and will swap that out when it arrives, however, I am not hopeful that this will solve my problem.

I can start the car and it runs fine, sometimes. Other times it won't start, or it will randomly shut down.

The weirdest thing is that when my car won't start, if I have the key in the ignition and I open the drivers side door I can hear the fuel pump prime. I'll repeat, opening the drivers side car door sometimes will cause my fuel pump to prime. I assume these same gremlins are causing it to shut off. I first noticed it when I was letting it idle and my son honked the horn and the rpms dropped. then when I opened the car door the same thing happened.

I hate electrical issues, but this clearly sounds like one. Apart from hearing all the sage advice, I was specifically wondering where the fuel pump wiring ran on my car (does sit remain under the car the whole way up to the PCM or do I have to pull apart the interior to get to it.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for replying. This website has helped so much in the past, but I am stumped right now.

Last edited by SwellRider; 03-18-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

I just read that some VWs may have a feature that causes the fuel pump to prime when the key is in the ignition and the drivers side door opens. Is this possibly true for Cherokees. It sounds a little fishy to me, like why would that even be a good idea.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Sorry, no help with your shutting down/random no start issues, but i do know that the fuel pump comes on with the ignition switch in the run position. The open door might just be allowing you to hear it better. Try rolling down the window and listen for it when you turn on the key Horn causes rpms to drop? Ya, i'd say you have some electrical issues. I hate electrical problems too.