Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6
Default Radio reception

I bought a 93 Cherokee about a month ago. Its a nice rig, but needed some tinkering. Had to replace the hood release, replaced the plugs and did an oil & filter change and gave it a lube job. I live in northern lower Michigan, about 15 miles from the nearest village, we are so rural that there are no stop signs in our entire county and it is one of the largest counties in Michigan.

To my question. The radio is the standard Jeep rig, AM/FM/Cassette. I noticed that I could only get one FM radio station, in comparison, my GMC pickup and the wifes Ford station wagon each get at least 12 stations. So I figured that the radio or the antenna was the reason. I pulled the radio to get at the antenna and tried an old GM radio and used the Jeep antenna, I had to set the radio on the center console and plugged the antenna in, hooked the radio up to my trolling motor battery and it worked, at least I got 6 stations.

I figured the radio was bad. I bought a new Jeep radio and put it in, but it only gets 2 and sometimes 3 stations. Are the jeep radios that bad?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 AM
jag

Year: 96
Engine: 6cyl

Do you get any am stations?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 AM

Engine: 4.0

Had the same problem in my 93, tried 3 radio's before I traced the anntenia wire and found that there is a male/female conection that had broken. I put it back together and used a hose clamp to hold it together. It is located behind the right panel on the front pasenger side below the dash.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:27 AM
G_P

Engine: 4.0 H.O

Originally Posted by Brng300
Had the same problem in my 93, tried 3 radio's before I traced the anntenia wire and found that there is a male/female conection that had broken. I put it back together and used a hose clamp to hold it together. It is located behind the right panel on the front pasenger side below the dash.

I did the exact same thing. Except i had no idea that connector was there so i pulled off my pass side fender looking for a break in the wire. It took me a while to start pulling off pieces inside looking for a break and then i noticed a spring lying on the floor behind the kick panel and looked up to see the female part of that connector had split open. A hose clamp works great!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:52 AM

Default Radio reception

To (Jag). No Jag, I get no AM stations.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:56 AM

Default Radio reception

To (Brng300) & (G_P)

Thanks for the input, I will try looking behind the glove box to see if I can locate the problem.

Wagoosh
Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 PM
G_P

Engine: 4.0 H.O

not behind the glovebox. its behind the kick panel thats along the floor/under the dash.

the antenna wire enters the jeep rather low about 6-8 inches off the floor.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Brng300
My radio does the same thing. I'll be checking this tonight.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:09 PM

Default Wagoosh

The problem was just as stated. There was a coupling in the antenna lead in and it was split and had come apart. I found it just behind the side kick plate under the right side of the dash. I followed the advice given and used a small hose clamp to put it back together and it now works great. You guys ROCK.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 AM

Year: 1996
Default Radio Reception

To GP - I've owned my first (1996) Cherokee Sport for 2 1/2 years. For the past year and a half my radio had weak or no stations in AM and only close stations in FM. Was going to start by removing the antenna and checking the connection. Checked to see if there was a Jeep Forum. Guess what? Your remedy was "my" remedy! Chrysler Corp. should be advised of the crummy antenna connector. Thanks much for your tip! BigErn
Old 07-19-2009, 12:15 PM

Year: 1995

Took forever to finally get around to checking this but it was the problem and I now have great reception in my Jeep.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Kudos for this thread!!!
I too was not getting any reception on my 1993 Cherokee stock radio. After reading these posts, I looked behind the passenger side kick panel under the dash (above floor, below dash, near door) and sure enough, I found the male/female antenna connection with the spring. Not sure why they even put in the spring (except to cause the connection to come apart, causing no radio reception), but after removing the spring, I simply re-connected the male/female antenna connection (didn't even need hose clamp), it stayed connected and now I have great reception!!
Thanks guys!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I fixed mine a couple of months ago. I used duct tape to fix the broken extension cable. I didn't think of a hose clamp.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:28 AM

Default Yayy! 94 model

I too was about to start ripping things apart to look for bad spots in my cable. Thank goodness I found you guys!
I took off the kick plate. The connector was a little loose. I unplugged, removed spring, replaced, then slid the sheath back over the two. BAM! I'm rockin again!
Thanks guys!

Last edited by Mstngsnjeeps; 03-15-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: To state year model
Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 PM

I'm glad I found this forum and this thread. I was having the same problem with my radio. I figured it was a bad connection between the radio and antenna but I might never found the problem or if I had it would have been after much searching and disassembly. Thanks for saving me the work.

Quick Reply: Radio reception