Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about factory paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Question about factory paint

First post but I have been lurking for awhile. I'm Jeep-less at the moment but my parents just bought an 01 Cherokee. One of the things I noted was that I could see what I believe to be factory primer located all along inside the drip rails and also where some of the other body panels come together. Between both fenders and the cowl piece for example. Is this normal for factory paint or was the truck a completely different color at some time?

Thanks in advance
Gary
Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Not normal.....Probably crashed, and the body shop or person that did the repair was in a big hurry and didn't bother to mask off the area you are talking about. I bet if you start looking, and depending what has happend to this jeep in the past, you may find more things that will give you and idea as to what has happend.
I looked at a jeep a few years ago that had been in a severe crash, then "fixed".... The uni-body had a 3" long rip in the metal where someone that had no business do any type of body work what so ever, had tried to pull the uni-body straight with a frame machine.
Not a big deal if the jeep was crashed, most used cars have had some type of body work done at some point in time.......The question is, was it done correctly.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Actually that is normal. The vehicle is painted with all panels on it and all door open from factory so not every nook and crany got covered with paint. You will find light paint to no paint just primer in between the fenders and doors you will also find little to no paint with factory primer on the upper frame rails if you take off the fenders. You can find out if it had been fixed upfront but it will require some dis assembly or just a really trained eye.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, thanks for the responses. I'm still puzzled because your responses were completely opposite to each other. Either the factory is incredibly sloppy with their painting or my folks have a potentially shoddy bodyshop repair.

The truck has 54K on the odo and was bought at a Chrysler dealership. I wasn't with them when they made the deal so I couldn't look it over before they bought. There are a few 'little' things that they have found that they said they would bring up to the dealer. I also would've requested a Carfax because that mileage is incredibly low for the year.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks again
Gary
Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Ive never seen any vehicle come from the factory sounding that bad. Overspray in some areas, sure, but not full on primer showing.