XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

putting the wrong gas in jeep cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting the wrong gas in jeep cherokee

Went out of town to visit a friend and my jeep ran out of gas right when I got to his house. I had to get back home but there was no gas stations around so we filled it up with lawn mower gas weed eater gas some blue looking gas and some regular looking fuel I made it home I'm just worried about all that mixed gas ruining my motor it sounds a little different what are the risks of using a bunch of different gasses? Should I drain out my tank and put in fresh gas? Or just use the Lucas fuel cleaner and hope everything's okay?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

How much mixed fuel did you put in it? If it was just a gallon or two, a full tank of regular gas will thin it out to the point your jeep won't even know its there.

It would probably be a good idea to change the fuel-filter (if you have a 96 or older) though as it may have gotten gummed up with the 2-cycle mix, something like seafoam in the next tank probably wouldn't hurt, but again if it was just a couple gallons filling the tank with streight gas will thin it out.

Also check the spark-plugs, the oil in the 2-cycle mix can foul them.

Worst case secnereo it may have gummed up the injectors but that probably isn't too likely. I wouldn't worry about any mechanical damage to the engine though, if anything the 2-cycle mix will act as an upper cylander lube.

The big thing is to get fresh gas in there asap (again if you only put in a couple gallons of pre-mix a full-tank will thin it out), don't continue running the full-strength pre-mix any longer than you have to.

Last edited by dmill89; 05-31-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:51 PM

My tank is filled up halfway with nothing but mixed gas from old lawnmowers and some blue gas we found so should I just fill my tank up with regular gas or should I try and siphon everything out and just use fresh gas?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992 2dr Sport 2wd & 1992 4dr Laredo 4x4
Engine: 4.0 liter H.O.
Cool

fill it up with fresh gas drive around for half a day then top it off again. while you driving around get spark plugs & fuel filter & seafoam wont hurt........
Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by cherokeeowner123
Went out of town to visit a friend and my jeep ran out of gas right when I got to his house. I had to get back home but there was no gas stations around so we filled it up with lawn mower gas weed eater gas some blue looking gas and some regular looking fuel I made it home I'm just worried about all that mixed gas ruining my motor it sounds a little different what are the risks of using a bunch of different gasses? Should I drain out my tank and put in fresh gas? Or just use the Lucas fuel cleaner and hope everything's okay?
If it was just gasoline used for four-stroke engines, she'll be right.

If it was two-stroke gasoline with the oil mixed in already, you may end up poisoning your catalyst bed - be warned.

If it was Diesel, you wouldn't have been able to start your engine.

Short form - if it ran, the engine's fine. Just watch your cat on emissions tests, to make sure it hasn't been poisoned by the two-stroke oil "steam" over it. Fill up, let it mix around, and forget about it...
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by 5-90
If it was just gasoline used for four-stroke engines, she'll be right.

If it was two-stroke gasoline with the oil mixed in already, you may end up poisoning your catalyst bed - be warned.

If it was Diesel, you wouldn't have been able to start your engine.

Short form - if it ran, the engine's fine. Just watch your cat on emissions tests, to make sure it hasn't been poisoned by the two-stroke oil "steam" over it. Fill up, let it mix around, and forget about it...
^This, On a side note if you ever find yourself in the situation where you have to use 2-stroke pre-mix in your vehicle only put enough in to get you to the nearist gas station. At worst an XJ should get 10 mpg (they usually do better than that) so 2-gal sould be enough unless you are in the absolute middle of nowhere. The less oil you put through the cat the better.

10 gal (1/2 tank for an xj) of pre-mix probably has about a quart of oil in it, this probably isn't enough destroy your cat (unless it's already on its way out) but it definately isn't good for it.

Last edited by dmill89; 05-31-2014 at 10:30 PM.