Putting in Kicker Sub need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default Putting in Kicker Sub need advice

Okay so I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee. I just bought a 10 in kicker sub. It was a buy one get one free so I got the other one free. I want good bass but not a lot to where my jeep is shaking. (I find it annoying) I was wondering if I should just keep the other sub or would I need it and have to put it in? If I need both instead of one? And also how many watts for the amp? I was told to get 300 for one but I can't decide what brand...? dual? legacy? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaraxj94
Okay so I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee. I just bought a 10 in kicker sub. It was a buy one get one free so I got the other one free. I want good bass but not a lot to where my jeep is shaking. (I find it annoying) I was wondering if I should just keep the other sub or would I need it and have to put it in? If I need both instead of one? And also how many watts for the amp? I was told to get 300 for one but I can't decide what brand...? dual? legacy? Thanks!
From what it sounds like I don't think you will need both of them in your xj. I listen to music loud and I have one 12 mtx sub and it is plenty loud enough for me. It vibrates the door trim pretty bad when I have it turned up. I can only imagine what two subs would sound like. Haha. So far as what size amp we will need more info on what model you bought. I'm thinking somewhere in the 300-500 watt range will be fine. And as far as brand goes, how much do you want to spend and what quality you are looking for. I bought my 475 watt Jensen amp at Target about six ago when it was on clearance for $45 bucks and it works great. It has outlasted a few of my jeeps.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Whats the model number of the sub? If it was a best buy special, its probably the entry level woofer that puts out 150 watts rms. In any case i ran a Kicker Comp C10, which is the entry level woofer, in a sealed truck box and it was pretty damn good, certain songs at certain volume would vibrate the mirrors. I had matched up to an older JL Audio amp that pushed out 125 watts rms.

When you buy an amp, use rms power ratings, not peak. If youre gonna go with a cheap amp, get powerbass, or hifonics. Decent quality and good pricing. Id personally stay away from boss or legacy or pyle.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L (242CID) AMC 242 H.O I6

I have one in my jeep and and using 300 watts and that way good enough but if you would like to have both in the jeep once you get it all hooked up you can leave the bass boost at 0 and and turn the loud off on the deck and put the bass in the negative and you should get any vibration and it will sound reall good. kicker is a great sub i love them.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

My jeep has 2 10" xplods running on a 600 watt xplod amp. It hits as if chuck liddell where hitting u in the back.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: Straight 6

I have 2 kicker comps. I was originally going to use only one. I really need help on this guys lol. thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Honestly, sound is all preference. Some people are happy with 1 10" sub, others want 2 18's. If you just want some low notes, not really loud so they will shake your jeep I would say go with the single 10. If you can get a cheap box, I would say try out both for awhile. Better to have too much than too little I think. Another thing you have to consider is cargo space. I have 2 12's in mine, and between that and the amp there is not a whole lot of space for other stuff. 10's take smaller boxes so you should be ok there. The type of amp and how hard you run it will matter a lot with the sound too. See if you can find someone who has close to the same setup around you, or check youtube, there's always lots of car audio demos there.

In short, you have to find what you like. Test it out a few different ways if you can. I think using both of them is the way to go.