XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Purchasing from ROUGH COUNTRY

Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Purchasing from ROUGH COUNTRY

Hey everyone, I've got a 00 Cherokee sport and I am about to buy the 4.5" full leaf kit x-series from RC, along with the steering stabilizer, and some bolts and such. I cant get them to give me any sort of discount, on the phone or not, I read a lot on here that people were able to get free or significantly less charge on shipping. I was wondering if anyone had some tips for what to tell these guys or something, I'd really like to purchase all my stuff from them, but they are making it difficult with this 70$ shipping charge, and no discounts.. at all.. the cherokeeforum discount comes after I install and upload pictures of my jeep via a check..
Old 01-30-2014, 09:12 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Don't buy RC, you have been warned...LOL
Old 01-30-2014, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by GooseJeep
Hey everyone, I've got a 00 Cherokee sport and I am about to buy the 4.5" full leaf kit x-series from RC, along with the steering stabilizer, and some bolts and such. I cant get them to give me any sort of discount, on the phone or not, I read a lot on here that people were able to get free or significantly less charge on shipping. I was wondering if anyone had some tips for what to tell these guys or something, I'd really like to purchase all my stuff from them, but they are making it difficult with this 70$ shipping charge, and no discounts.. at all.. the cherokeeforum discount comes after I install and upload pictures of my jeep via a check..
Eh ask them is all you can really do. But you basically do get the shipping cost back after you review it on here
Old 01-30-2014, 09:19 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6

O_O whats with the cryptic message? elaborate please???
Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Nothing cryptic about it. I cannot recommend them at all. Bad experience with that company personally. Others will say different, but the products I purchased from them were garbage right out of the box. Terrible customer service and they didn't stand behind their product. I'm not one to just bash on any company, unless they are really that bad. In my case they were, so I can't recommend them. Don't let a low price tempt you into buying. Do your research and either piece together a kit or spend the extra money for quality and service. There's a reason their price is low. Before all the naysayers start in, THIS IS JUST ONE MANS OPINION.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Yes some have had some bad expeirences, The biggest issues I tend to hear are leafs are a lil short(if you are not running SRB) and joints bushings were fast (Im assuming these people didnt keep them greased) I run the very basic 3" aal kit, so I cant say anything about leafs or joint bushings. I wheel the crap out of my jeep and have had no issues. I also know a couple of people running the long arm kits and have heard no complaints. Although I plan on going IRO for long arms or Rock Crawler for there 3 link. When ordering your kit you'll need to know what axels and tranfer case you have, just letting you know
Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

If you are looking for a cheaper end kit. Go with zone or rusty's. It is not the bushings that wear fast, it is the flex joints in the control arms. I greased mine ever few weeks. And the joints were shot after 6 months, my jeep is also only driven 2 or 3 times a week. I bought the rough country 4.5 kit maybe 2 years ago. I have replaced every single thing with better products. Yes the kit will work. I will put it this way. I am legitimately excited that I no longer have a single rough country part on my jeep.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Go with ZONE, sister company of BDS. It's BDS's line to compete with RC. I run the ZONE 3" lift and have no complaints. Also, talk to Jeff Harvey at Rockridge 4wd and tell him seth Rummel sent ya. He will hook ya up!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I bought the 4.5 inch RC X-series full kit, because I read glowing reports on this site about them from people that didn't have the 4.5 X-series kit.
I had to replace the joints on the control arms after maybe two months, had to replace the track bar and track bar bracket after six months, replaced the rear springs so the only thing left from the POS RC kit is the front coils the control arms themselves.
Not bad for spending over 700 bucks, plus all the money I spent replacing parts, I came out with coils and arms with no bushings, maybe 175 worth.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Okay so this is how I justified paying the 300 for my kit and going with rc in general. A bds kit that includes the same thing as the X series kit would cost around 2500, compared to the RC kit at 850, these are both without shipping. You could replace the joints with higher quality that bds and save 1500 still. Sure if its going to be a dedicated rig, dont buy rc, but if its a dd and weekend warrior, Im all for it. On the same note, they dont do a 4 link so I will be going somewhere else when I move up more.
And for all the same things that came with my RC kit(coil springs, u bolts, aal, shocks) going through BDS wouldve doubled the price. And I will say spending that extra 300 wouldnt of made me any more capable, maybe a nicer ride cuz RC shocks do suck. In fact Id be a lil more weary wheeling that kit because the cost if i had to replace components

Last edited by PurpleToxin505; 01-30-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

This Zone kit does not come with as much as the RC kit but for a few hundred more you will have a better setup. Leaf/shackle combo will flex better than just leafs. Also the Zone leafs have anti friction pads like BDS and OME.

http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...erokee/j23-j24
Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Engine: I6 4.0L

I totally understand where you're coming from. The x series kit looks very tempting when you see everything it comes with, BUT as others will tell you its simply not worth it. You will end up replacing most everything in the kit.

I never had a problem with the control arms, but in my opinion the leafs, trackbar, and disconnects are all junk. Unless uou have the angled shackles (I forget the proper term) your rear end will ride ROUGH. The leafs are too short causing your shackle angle to be pretty much 90 degrees. If I had to do it over, I would go with the IRO 5" kit for about $200 more. I know this isn't what you're wanting to hear, but I just wanted to pass on my .02 before you waste that hard earned $$. Either way I hope you have blast building your jeep! Good luck
Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

If I were to get a 4.5 inch kit (non long arm) and on a budget I would get this one: http://www.trailmastersuspension.com...fMTM3745-40023

They have dropped that price by about 1000 dollars since it came out and while I don't know any Jeepers that have a trailmaster kit, I have a lot of buddies with Toyotas etc with them and they seem to work great. It includes full leaf packs instead of add-a-leafs and includes everything you need except an SYE.

And as always I can throw a good word out for Ironrockoffroad.com

Last edited by Ianf406; 01-30-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Yes I completely undrestand, I avoided getting new leafs because my stock ones were pretty new. The biggest reason I went with rc was because I had 300 to spend, and I "needed" to lift my jeep. Im happy with my purchase. I have no experience with there CAs or leafs, therefore I cant have a stance on those. There disconnect design is crap just like RE, jks has the best disco. Overall if you want the best lift you cant simply buy a kit, you will have to piece the best components from different companies to trully have the best possible option besides going all custom
Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

I have the RC x series 4.5 kit and I HATE it. it came in the jeep that I bought. control arms are garbage. I snapped the trackbar clean into 2 pieces. shocks ride like a shopping cart. I could go on and on. do yourself the favor and buy something better quality

BUT on the other hand I had the rc series 2 3 inch lift in my old xj.. didn't have to many complaints about that kit though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchasing from ROUGH COUNTRY