XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

product review section of cf?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default product review section of cf?

I just thought it'd be a great idea. Kind of like writeups, to have it all in one area.. thoughts?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

i think this is a great idea, but would need a strict set of rules, i can only imagine with some of the hot heads on here that 2 people disagreeing on how good or bad a product is could lead to some serious n stupid fights on here. with a sticky on set rules and consequences if you break those rules, i think that would be a great section for the amount of rc vs rustys or km2s vs goodyear mtr with kevlar threads ppl wouldnt havta keep reasking these just go to those products, maybe make sub sections for each style part? idk just tossing out ideas here.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

I give jeep Cherokees 10/10
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

I like the idea.

Originally Posted by zombie jeep101
But zombie jeep, wouldn't you think an 8 or 9. Reasons : 2.8L V6 and bad MPG. Just saying.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Awesome idea..... could be interesting at times for sure though lol.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member

I just like the candid, over the fence, conversational feel of the forum. Vs naxja, esp. I look for products before I buy with" jeep xj" in the terms and surf the internet for like 4 hours (at least) before every purchase. Most of the time Google sends me to cf and I have to filter threads for hours. Just bought cheap led bar, new falken tires, going to buy seats soon, and have put at least 3 grand into my jeep. It would be a great resource, for sure. But...... I feel ya how would you regulate sheer secondary opinions, spats, and rants when
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Unrelated, off topic, unnecessary, or just flaming. I don't know, but cherokees are aging and I feel like it'd be a valuable resource.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zombie jeep101
Originally Posted by rmoore1031
I like the idea.

But zombie jeep, wouldn't you think an 8 or 9. Reasons : 2.8L V6 and bad MPG. Just saying.

It's this kind of stuff that would keep the mod's busier than usual. Neither of these posts deal with the topic at hand, someone just wanted to "Be Seen".

While I'm all for a vendor feedback section, it would have to be severely moderated to keep it from becoming a Chat Area instead of a resource for CF members (AKA -potential customers) as a well as a resource for vendors to gauge how well they are meeting their customers needs and expectations.

The mods have enough to keep them busy as it is, and they aren't paid for their time. Asking them to do even more babysitting isn't fair to them.

And think about this.
What's to prevent a vendor from artificially inflating his own reputation by creating more than one account and posting random glowing reports about his own business....or bad-mouthing someone else's? Think it can't happen? Think again. Ask any forum owner/operator on the WWW and you'll be amazed at just how often it does. Heck, we've had people on this very forum create multiple accounts to pad their votes for the CotM. How about the guy who claimed to be the friend of a member here that got blown off an antenna tower in Oregon and was killed? I know some of the mods remember that fiasco...

How do you prevent forum members from bashing or praising a vendor that they've never done business with?

Do you modify the rules so that any and all reviewers must post under their real name and provide a copy of an invoice to prove that they are a legitimate customer?

So although a good idea, the implementation and fair administration is going to be difficult, if not impossible.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6

The only other forum I'm involved with regularly is ZX-10R.net. They have their product reviews in a special sub-forum with the how-tos. They call it "Product reviews and how-tos". Pretty creative right? It's a locked subforum just like the write-ups section here, reviews just need to be submitted to a mod or posted in the regular forums, then moved. I don't think they have any kind of specific rules or format for the reviews.

I'm sure I'll offend some people here with this, but the Cherokeeforum compared to ZX-10R.net is FILLED with hot-headed A-holes and keyboard tough guys. The flaming, disrespect and general jerk-level here is just ridiculous in comparison. Not to say there aren't plenty of great members and useful info here, just seems like a way different ratio. Maybe it's because not everyone here gets to experience the amazing feeling that is life on two wheels (sometimes one )?

I have also thought about suggesting a similar section for reviews, but honestly, SeriousOffroad is right, I don't think this forum and the mods could handle it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Poo. Love this place. Too bad. Guess I'll review my tires in modified Cherokee? Better to go to build thread I never update, I guess
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6

Update your damn build lol
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
It's this kind of stuff that would keep the mod's busier than usual. Neither of these posts deal with the topic at hand, someone just wanted to "Be Seen".

While I'm all for a vendor feedback section, it would have to be severely moderated to keep it from becoming a Chat Area instead of a resource for CF members (AKA -potential customers) as a well as a resource for vendors to gauge how well they are meeting their customers needs and expectations.

The mods have enough to keep them busy as it is, and they aren't paid for their time. Asking them to do even more babysitting isn't fair to them.

And think about this.
What's to prevent a vendor from artificially inflating his own reputation by creating more than one account and posting random glowing reports about his own business....or bad-mouthing someone else's? Think it can't happen? Think again. Ask any forum owner/operator on the WWW and you'll be amazed at just how often it does. Heck, we've had people on this very forum create multiple accounts to pad their votes for the CotM. How about the guy who claimed to be the friend of a member here that got blown off an antenna tower in Oregon and was killed? I know some of the mods remember that fiasco...

How do you prevent forum members from bashing or praising a vendor that they've never done business with?

Do you modify the rules so that any and all reviewers must post under their real name and provide a copy of an invoice to prove that they are a legitimate customer?

So although a good idea, the implementation and fair administration is going to be difficult, if not impossible.

I see your point in some vendors trying to make themselves have a very good reputation but not all the reviews would be about vendors, you would probably get more questions on products from other websites and stores and a bunch of questions on tires but there is nothing you can do about creating more accounts.

Plus within the section they could create sub sections for armor, drivetrain, engine, suspension, wheels and tires, and a vendor section and have different rules for that section
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Rules only work if people follow them.....
Old 11-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm two thumbs up on the idea. Product reviews/discussion. Most of the longer tenured members are obedient and make a mockery of the fools. Spats generate enough traffic the mods are never far behind. And, mallamo - i will, I will!

Quick Reply: product review section of cf?