Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Planning on Purchasing a Cherokee - Local Jeep Mechanics for PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Planning on Purchasing a Cherokee - Local Jeep Mechanics for PPI?

Hello All-

I am currently looking into the possibility of purchasing a Cherokee off of someone and wanted to get your guys feedback. Is there anywhere I can get a list of reputable Jeep mechanics that can take a look at this thing before I purchase?

I haven't purchased a used car before and don't really know what to look for outside of rust.

For reference, the car is located near Caldwell, NJ

Thanks-

Last edited by nyams; 12-20-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look for a xj 91-99 as clean and as virgin as you can find and afford.Skip the 00-01 those have a cylinder head that can crack and its not a cheap fix.As far as a mechanic any good one should do since the jeeps are older and kinda basic.The reason i say clean and virgin is most people that would mod a jeep probably drove it hard.I look at the driver almost as i do the car.If they are 30 or older and dress normal they probably drive normal.If its someone under 30 and dress like they belong in a rap video its probably been drove hard.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback @andrewmp6 -

the seller has disclosed that it has a bad transfer case, cracked windshield, and bent back bumper, but is otherwise "bone stock"

I don't have any experience working on cars, but I like to think Im decently handy and could figure out non-major fixes with the help from you guys and the internet
Old 12-21-2016, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

So it doesn't run?
Old 12-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
So it doesn't run?
The ad says it has 2 wheel drive until the transfer case is replaced to have 4x4 again
Old 12-22-2016, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

If it needs that much repair i wouldn't buy it unless you can do the work yourself.To have a garage replace the transfer case your looking 1500 bucks or more just for that.I rather save more money and spend more on a nicer jeep to buy vs one that needs a lot of work done to it.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Stay away from that unless you're looking for a project. I love my xj but I don't recommend them for people who aren't driveway mechanics already if it's going to be their only car. Second car and you want to use it as a learning tool? Go for it.

Time and time again I see people come in here and complain about how much their shop is charging them for replacing a sensor or a ujoint or something, especially in relation to how much the vehicle is worth. They're easy to work on but do require work--the newest Cherokee is 16 years old, after all.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Something i have always done dealing with a used car,I look up the book value on it.Then i take the asking price and all the stuff it needs fixed.If the repair cost and asking price is higher then its book value i either talk the owner down tell it works for me or walk away.But some people are nuts i have seen wrecked cars with a asking price as if its not wrecked.Or they say it needs a simple fix and its far from that.Anything the owner says kinda take it with a grain of salt they are trying to sell a car or just don't know better.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

And what could they have been doing to cause the transfer case to break? 99% of T cases won't just break from normal driving. Unless it was neglect. What is the chance that Cherokee is the 1%?

Unless it's spotless or cheap I would pass. We paid $5000 for my wife's 01 like 4 years ago. It had 165k miles, one owner, garaged. No rust on it except some surface rust on some of the unibody welds. Brake lines still silver. No wear on seats or carpet. It still had "passed" stickers in some places from the final inspection when it rolled off the assembly. I have since only spent about $200-$250 on repairs. It just hit 201,000 miles.

So unless it's that nice I would pass too. If it's very cheap it's likely to need repairs. But I've also seen jeeps not as nice as our 01. And they're asking as much or more than $5000.

I know from experience what it's like to work on a vehicle constantly just to keep it drivable. It doesn't bother me too much though. Maybe try to at least find one that has had the gaskets done and rear main. Any xj is bound to have a leak somewhere and if not it likely will soon.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Depends which t case it has,If its a np242 i believe that has a viscous coupler and if that goes out you gotta rebuild the t case pretty much.Or it has problems with the front axle and they think its the t case.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Depends which t case it has,If its a np242 i believe that has a viscous coupler and if that goes out you gotta rebuild the t case pretty much.Or it has problems with the front axle and they think its the t case.
Just FYI, viscous coupler was in the NV249 in the Grands with Quadra-Trac. NP242 uses a differential.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

That diff can still go bad if its not been taken care of tho.That is the only reasons i can see why you pull the front driveshaft the t case has problems or the front axle does.