Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Picking up a 2000 XJ with blow motor. Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Picked up a 2000 XJ with blow motor. Need some help.

Ok so in 2 days I pick up a 2000 Cherokee 4x4 with 228k on it and the motor has a hole in he block from a thrown rod.
I think it suffered the common cracked head problem and the owner did not stop driving it until it blew up.

I need to know what years of the 4.0 will work in this rig, and what years are known to have any problems.

Also what years did they make the HO motor?

Sorry for the newb questions but I am a newb when comes to Jeeps. Been working on cars for a long time thou.
Going to turn this XJ in to an off road toy that can still be a DD if needed. But right now I just want to get it back on the road again.

I do not need to smog it where I live.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Badmunky; 11-22-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

The lower block seems to common through all years of the 4.0, however, only a 2000-2001 with the distributorless ignition system heads work unless you like doing some mods. Read more, but I want to say that the intake ports are sized and positioned specifically for 2000-2001 heads.

The key thing about the head issue is to read/research 0331 which is the head number that hasthe issue. There are solutions that are reliable, but I have yet to find a cheap one. But since you gattado the entire motor, you have a bit of options.

Last edited by stormitecture; 11-20-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the info. Ill be doing a lot of research before I buy any thing.
It will be a while before I have the cash to get another motor any way.
So the 2000-2001 was distributerless?
I did not know that.
What are the options for fixing the problem with the newer heads?
I dont want put a new motor in it just to havebthe same problem again.
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 PM

Engine: inline 6 4.0 lt

i have just finished doing this. i put a 96 motor in my 2000 and so far its running great. the coil pack stays in place thanks to the heater hoses and the ac compressor. working on fabbing up tabs to run under the pack and bolt on to the stud/bolts in the valve cover. the distributor was replaced with the crank/cam sensor. and use a 2000 exhaust/intake gasket because if you use the pre-00 gasket with the 2000 manifold it will result in a huge exhaust leak and sound like its running straight from the manifold.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 PM

Well I picked the thing up today!
It was $1,250 and $100 to get it home.

After the new year I will start working on it. Its got a golf ball sized hole in the side of the block on the drivers side where then #1 rod decided it need some fresh air! LOL.

And I'm sure the head is cracked as well.

So Ill need a new motor. I'm toying with the idea of building a 4.6 Stroker.

It has some rust on the floors under the front seat front outer mounts on both sides but nothing I can not fix. Just need the parts and a welder.

Here are some pics of it for you guys.

Last edited by Badmunky; 05-19-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Year: 2001 Classic
Engine: 4.0

What kinda Subaru you got there?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MOBBiN
What kinda Subaru you got there?

2007 WRX with a lot of cash in mods!
And more to come to.
Bout it new. Best car I have ever owned! (And I have had a lot of cars.)

So I worked on the Jeep for about an hour today.
So far I have fixed the drivers side front door latch. Two of the bolts fell out, So fir right now I took one bolt from each rear door latch until I can get to a bone yard and get some new ones.
And I fixed the hood latch on the drivers side so it will hold the hood closed now and the hood lines up like it should no when closed.

Still have a lot of work to bring the old girl back though.

Friend of mine is trying to talk me in to putting an LS1 in it. I don't know.
Seams like a lot of work and money. But I am going to look in it.

Right now I just want to get it back on the road so it can pull DD duty for a bit while I decide what all I want to do to it.

Last edited by Badmunky; 11-22-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

Just make sure to over research everything possible and double research it to be sure, and luckily with a 4.0 there are many different models, years, and types you can choose from if you take it back to a 4.0 l6
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 PM

Yeah I have been looking at the cost of a V* swap and it looks like thats a no go for sure!
Its like 10K plus!

I think I'm going to just look for a used motor from an 03-07 Wrangler and call it a day for right now.
I don't have the cash to do a V8 conversion at this point. Hell I have never even owned a 4x4 before!

This will be my vary first off road capable vehicle, so I think we will just keep it simple for now. LOL

But hey I can dream big right?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Engine: 4.0L i6

You sure have a project on your hands.
For $2500+ you could have gotten a nicely running Jeep with 125k or fewer miles.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
For $2500+ you could have gotten a nicely running Jeep with 125k or fewer miles.
I have thought about this myself...butylu can spend more and still be in the same boat. At least thisway heknows it hasagood motor. Why I haven't been quick to sell for cheap and rebuy.

Side note: I see more and more Subaru owners coming to Jeep and vice-versa. Hell I am too (formerly a Legacy GT owner) and looking to go back too.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
Around here a Nice one with 100k or so in it sells for 4-5k and some dealers are even asking as much as 6k for them.

I just fund a dealer here that has a 2001 with 200K on it an a blown motor and its got more rust then mine and they still want $1,200 for it!

Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior
I have thought about this myself...butylu can spend more and still be in the same boat. At least thisway heknows it hasagood motor. Why I haven't been quick to sell for cheap and rebuy.

Side note: I see more and more Subaru owners coming to Jeep and vice-versa. Hell I am too (formerly a Legacy GT owner) and looking to go back too.
I'm not selling the Subaru. Just want an off road toy to go with my on road toy! LOL

Right now I'm on my way to go buy a Kia Sephia with a bad clutch. Like I did not have enough to do with the jeep already! LOL
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Banned

Engine: 4.0L i6

Then, I'd go the Ebay route and get it shipped to your house.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 PM

I'm still up in the air on what I want to do to it.
I have a few months to decide.
I will not have time to work on it until after the new year. Might not even get to it until spring time. So that gives me a lot of time to save for what ever I end up doing.

I really like the idea of an LS swap but the cost is a problem.
I like the idea of a stroker as well but I think it will fall short on power for the cost involved.

I'm open to other options as well if any one has any suggestions.

I may end up with a used stock motor just to get it up and running if I am unable to devote the funds needed to do a swap and get it running before summer.

Thanks for helping the new guy out!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 PM

I had this problem when I bought my 2001 XJ. If I'm not mistaken any high output motor will work as long as you swap in your coil pack/cam sensor system. I put a 1999 motor in mine. I got one from my local Pull-A-Part and dropped it in, I got lucky that it was a good motor. Swapping everything over is really simple and it only took me about a total of around 6 hours in the middle of a field with a tractor and a boom pole, that also included swapping manifolds and gaskets because my intake was cracked on my original motor. It's not a huge undertaking like it may seem. I would also look into getting a header because the ports on older heads are bigger than your headers, but I don't think mine even leaks with the new gasket and copper gasket spray. If you have any questions with it feel free to pm me, also talk to a guy on here called SpruceJedi, he helped me figure out the plan for my swap, good luck.

Quick Reply: Picking up a 2000 XJ with blow motor. Need some help.