Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Painting with spray paint?

Has anyone ever painted an entire XJ using only spray paint and had it come out looking ok? I just did my rims and used gray primer then black paint and it seems like it looks smooth and even. But it's such a small area I don't know if that would translate to an entire vehicle
Old 06-28-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whenever I do large panels I get "striping". I have little experience with it and I bet I could get it to look pretty good. I never get striping on small items (bumpers, wheels, etc) but I tried doing a trunk and when I got it into the sun it looked AWFUL.

this guys jeep is rattle canned:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...orange-193455/
Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you thought about plasti dip?You can buy it in gallons and use a normal house sprayer to paint it with.Take a look around https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php
Old 06-29-2014, 01:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

It would be hard to get a paint job out of spray cans to not have any striping. Have you thought about painting with a roller? I seen it done and it looks ok but it's always a flat or semi flat color.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Strmtrooper70
It would be hard to get a paint job out of spray cans to not have any striping. Have you thought about painting with a roller? I seen it done and it looks ok but it's always a flat or semi flat color.
If you actually know how to paint with spray cans you won't get any striping in a paintjob. Its about taking your time with prep work and keeping the can far away enough not to run but close enough to where it doesn't dry spray. And don't space your paint streaks so far apart if your getting striping, when you start a new "line" make it only two or three inches below where you just aimed so the paint blends together. If you mess up then re-sand it and try again.

Last edited by Hayden98XJ; 06-29-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Hayden98XJ
If you actually know how to paint with spray cans you won't get any striping in a paintjob. Its about taking your time with prep work and keeping the can far away enough not to run but close enough to where it doesn't dry spray. And don't space your paint streaks so far apart if your getting striping, when you start a new "line" make it only two or three inches below where you just aimed so the paint blends together. If you mess up then re-sand it and try again.
Instead of investing the time and money into perfecting the art of rattle canning I'd just buy a decent gun and compressor if I didn't already own them.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Originally Posted by CrawdadSlim

Instead of investing the time and money into perfecting the art of rattle canning I'd just buy a decent gun and compressor if I didn't already own them.
You make it sound as if owning a professional spray gun is all it takes for professional quality work. Learning how to spray well still takes time regardless of how good your equipment is. If you suck at spraying it doesn't matter if you have $1000 in equipment or $30 in rattle cans, the paint job will still look bad.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

I look at it this way. My jeep is gonna get scratched up dented whatever. I don't plan on buying $50 of automotive paint for touch-ups.

Last edited by Hayden98XJ; 06-30-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Have you thought about plasti dip?You can buy it in gallons and use a normal house sprayer to paint it with.Take a look around https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php
+1 to PlastiDip, that stuff is amazing. Almost impossible to mess up and peels off when you want it gone, or want a different color.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:30 PM

Harbor Freight has a nice 30 gallon direct drive oiled compressor that can be had for $150 with a coupon, and I have seen gravity spray guns go for less than $20.
The problem with using rattle cans is the cost per ounce is high. Of course, the price of liquid paint has become almost prohibitive. "Cheap" automotive paint is going to cost $300 per gallon up to the sky, and that is not including primer, thinner, sand paper etc.
Have you thought about Maaco or one of the other auto body shops? You could probably get it done for what materials would cost.
Cheers,
Doug
Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

You can get automotive paint and cat combos for less than 150 a gallon. But hey whatever floats your boat. Some guys roll on Bedliner. If it's a beater why paint at all? I'd just use thinner and a torch to add to the patina.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jetdoctor
Harbor Freight has a nice 30 gallon direct drive oiled compressor that can be had for $150 with a coupon, and I have seen gravity spray guns go for less than $20.
The problem with using rattle cans is the cost per ounce is high. Of course, the price of liquid paint has become almost prohibitive. "Cheap" automotive paint is going to cost $300 per gallon up to the sky, and that is not including primer, thinner, sand paper etc.
Have you thought about Maaco or one of the other auto body shops? You could probably get it done for what materials would cost.
Cheers,
Doug
At maaco you're probably looking at close to $1k. More or a little less depending on color. Plus they suck.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Seasoned Member

You can get automotive paint and cat combos for less than 150 a gallon. But hey whatever floats your boat. Some guys roll on Bedliner. If it's a beater why paint at all? I'd just use thinner and a torch to add to the patina.
Yeah there you go your getting it now. No I meant if you do it right a paint job with spray paint doesn't look that bad. Theirs a couple people with OD green/desert tan/white/black/bedlined paintjobs that just used rattle can and it turned out really well with good prep work and painting technique. I'm just saying thats definetly an option if thats what the OP wants to do.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Rattle can painting is an art. Practice practice practice, it will come out good.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Seasoned Member

X2

Quick Reply: Painting with spray paint?