Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Painting a new bumper ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Painting a new bumper ?

I just ordered my new bumper and it will be delivered as bare metal. I planned on using POR-15 and top coating with Dupi-color truck bed coating. I live in the Seattle area, so I wanted something that will protest it from the constant rain.

My question is, in the prep for those that have used this stuff. POR-15 is marketed as moisture helps this stuff cure, which I thought was odd. So I called the manufacturer and the technician was worthless. I told him that I'd be applying it in a garage and letting it cure in there. But, I also told him that it rains pretty much every day here. He said I may not want to use their product then..... Really, so, nobody in the Pacific North-West should use their product?

Can someone please shed some light here for me?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Wrong section buddy. Read the stickies at the top of this section.

It should be fine as long as you prep it and let it cure fully. Follow the directions on the can.

Last edited by JerrytheJeep; 11-08-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Moved to chat.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by paragrunt
I just ordered my new bumper and it will be delivered as bare metal. I planned on using POR-15 and top coating with Dupi-color truck bed coating. I live in the Seattle area, so I wanted something that will protest it from the constant rain.

My question is, in the prep for those that have used this stuff. POR-15 is marketed as moisture helps this stuff cure, which I thought was odd. So I called the manufacturer and the technician was worthless. I told him that I'd be applying it in a garage and letting it cure in there. But, I also told him that it rains pretty much every day here. He said I may not want to use their product then..... Really, so, nobody in the Pacific North-West should use their product?

Can someone please shed some light here for me?
POR15 is designed to be "painted over rust", and they recommend using their 3-step treatment for bare metal. I think the reality is you can sandblast it and have enough of a gritty surface to use POR15. But on a bare, smooth, untreated metal surface, you risk the POR15 flaking off.

I used self-etching primer and Rustoleum Hammered and it's held up pretty good. Next time I touch it up I'm going to add a few layers of clearcoat to help even more.