XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

paint! wtf.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint! wtf.

Ok so my newest jeep is *** end ugly... I want to go with the military tan and black theme. Has any one done this, and how did you spray it? Out of a can? And how did come out. Or did u use a spray gun. And how did that come out. Might be a stupid question. But i am curious.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Get about 10 cans of Rustoleum flat khaki (it's designed to be used with doing camouflage), 4 cans of flat black, and 4 cans of clear coat (optional). Also, some (one for each color) of the spray can trigger caps (home depot and lowes have them) as well as a couple rolls if frog tape and plenty of 220 grit sandpaper. Remove the taillights, rood rails, grill, headlight bezels, and headlights. If you can remove the doors do it and pull off the interiors panels, the outside handles, and locks (this lets you get into the door jams as well as cover the while door so the finished job looks better). Cover and tape off all glass and the door openings (if you removed them) as well as anything else you don't want paint on). Sand down the entire body evenly (you don't have to go to bare metal, just enough to etch your current paint and remove any gloss from it). Clean the vehicle with mineral water and dry with a terry cloth towel. Paint the entire vehicle with the khaki paint, making the first coat very light. Start from the top and work down, giving about 2 inches of overspray for each pass. Each pass should be one continuous line along that entire section of the vehicle. Let this dry for about an hour then do a second coat that is slightly heavier than the first and wait 20-30 minutes between coats, each coats thickness being the same as the second coats. Make sure do do any body parts you've removed if you want them the khaki color. If not, do the same process with them with whatever color you're using. Once the khaki is done, let it dry for a full 24 hours. After those 24 hours you can now cover and tape off the areas that will stay khaki and apply your black paint using the same technique as before (just no sanding). Let that dry for about and hour then remove the coverings and tape you just applied. Now do your clear coats using the same technique if you want a clear coat. Let everything dry for another 24 hours and put it all back together. To make it look good it's all about the prep work and painting technique. Done right, you can have a really nice paint job for under $300. Plan 4-5 days for this job if you want it done right.

Last edited by no rdplz; 08-12-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man. That's what I was hoping to hear from some one. I just need to buckle down and get it done.