Opinion on GC 4wd with dana44a rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v-8
Thumbs down Opinion on GC 4wd with dana44a rear

I think I posted this in the wrong forum, so thought I would ask here in chat room. I just bought a 1996 GC Larado with 5.2 V-8 and all wheel drive. It susposedly has a 44a diff and I don't know yet what the number is for the TC. All electric works, runs great, have started all fluid changes and have replaced rotors and pads front and back. Got a noise in the rear end when I turn to the right, not really bad but I figure might be bearing going bad. Have replaced oil in diff. Would appreciate opinions on if this all wheel drive is ok and basiclly is this jeep considered a good one by most standards. Got to start to rely on it to get the wife to the hospital when she has a problem. Thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by grandpa1041
I think I posted this in the wrong forum, so thought I would ask here in chat room. I just bought a 1996 GC Larado with 5.2 V-8 and all wheel drive. It susposedly has a 44a diff and I don't know yet what the number is for the TC. All electric works, runs great, have started all fluid changes and have replaced rotors and pads front and back. Got a noise in the rear end when I turn to the right, not really bad but I figure might be bearing going bad. Have replaced oil in diff. Would appreciate opinions on if this all wheel drive is ok and basiclly is this jeep considered a good one by most standards. Got to start to rely on it to get the wife to the hospital when she has a problem. Thanks
Your ZJ has the NP 249 T-case.
Since it makes a noise when you're turning right, you should have the left rear wheel bearing checked. On a right turn the weight transfers to the left side, putting more strain on that bearing, hence the noise you notice.

I think you have a great vehicle, and that system is as good as most, better than some IMO. As a test of the T-case, you can do slow figure 8's with the steering turned full lock in a parking lot. If the front tires make a chirping or hopping noise, that means the viscous coupling in the T-case is not working correctly. It's not a sign of immediate failure. It's usually cheaper to get another complete t-case than to have that one rebuilt.

Last edited by ol"blue; 06-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2 v-8

Thanks ol"blue that is some good news and great advice will try that figure 8 in parking lot. Have a great day.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by grandpa1041
Thanks ol"blue that is some good news and great advice will try that figure 8 in parking lot. Have a great day.
If you decide you need/want a new t-case. I recommend swapping either a 231/242
Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Not a bad jeep but that t-case has a bit of a bad rep and I have first hand experience with it and it wasn't good. That being said my cousin current wheels one and it's fine so far. The 44a was the better of the two axle that came in ZJs but not a great one. It's c-clipped but you should have disc brakes so if a shaft brakes the wheel doesn't walk out. It has an aluminum center section and the tubes have been known to spin in it and the aftermarket is scarce for it. Typically they can handle a 33" tire without issues if you don't beat on them too hard.