Sponsored by: DashLynx

Offroad friendly insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust
Default Offroad friendly insurance

Hey guys. So after reading so many threads about peoples jeeps being stolen, I called my insurance company (Progressive) and was not very pleased with the results. So to add regular custom equipment protection up to 5,000$ is reasonable but when I tried the "Stated value" and put the value of my Jeep at 15,000, the price was almost 600$ a month! Lol ridiculous if you ask me. No way people driving a 15,000 dollar car are paying that much... I have a clean record, over 25 etc. etc. Do you guys know of any insurance companies that offer more than 5,000$ of custom parts coverage at a reasonable price? The blue book on our XJs is nothing so if someone steals it, I would like to at least be able to buy another stroker/lift etc lol. There are a few that cover classic cars (Hagerys etc) but they all say they wont cover offroad vehichles. Thanks!

P.S. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good GPS/Vehicle tracker? None of the big ones are available in my area (LoJack etc.)

Last edited by Ianf406; 06-19-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most insurance companies don't like off roaders because they think they will get messed up easy.I have always kept normal full coverage and clean my guns on my front porch once a month.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just carry liability on anything over about eight years old, or down around $5K of "total" value.

Insurance companies suck when it comes to any vehicle that is worth more than what their books say it is worth. Even an engine rebuild on an older vehicle can mean that you're basically paying insurance for nothing.

I used to work for a guy whose driver tipped his KW (empty, with the log trailer loaded up) on a patch of ice. The truck was about 10 years old at the time, and the insurance was going to total it for almost nothing, but Keith had rebuilt the engine and the transmissions (13x4) and the rear ends so it was basically a brand new truck. He finally settled for some amount of cash and kept the truck and fixed it himself. It really only needed some fixing to the right fender and right side top of the cab, plus RH mirror, bent stack, etc. He actually put visqueen and duct tape over the broken window and drove it for a while with one air filter until he found some junk yard parts and got around to fixing it.

I got to observe all of the above as I was one of his fallers that winter.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Save your money take your own precautions. Kill switches, alarms, a .45
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by studmuffin
Save your money take your own precautions. Kill switches, alarms, a .45

Having some doors and fenders of a different paint color would help too
Old 06-19-2015, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

You just now figure this out? Its been that way for ever all an XJ should get is liability insurance anyway being they have little value if a total loss were to occur.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I just always assumed you could just get insurance for a stated amount of money in the event of total loss. I assumed you would have to provide receipts and etc. I guess I was wrong.

Let me reword this.... USAA used to offer 10,000$ of after-market equipment protection a few years back when I used them. They have since changed their policy. Progressive will only cover 5,000 (and it is only a couple bucks extra a month). So should it be totaled, stolen etc, you get the blue book and 5,000$ if you can provide receipts (assuming you have full coverage). So does anyone know of a company that would allow you to have more than 5,000$ in custom equipment?

As far as only running liability, my total bill for two XJs and some other stuff is only 136$ a month with full coverage +custom equipment on one of them- Around here it almost pays for itself in windshields every year. If I dropped the full coverage on the one, my bill would be about 90$ a month. Blue book for mine is about 3,000+5000 in custom parts means I would get 8,000 in the event of a crash/theft etc. SO to do some math, I pay an extra 50$ a month for that 8,000. 8,000$\$50= 160months= 13.33Years. So if anything happened within 13 years of having that coverage, it already paid for itself. Could I build my Jeep for 8,000? No. But I could build a way nicer one than someone could with 0.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:49 AM
CF Veteran

Most insurance companies won't insure anything over book value with out a few appraisals saying its worth more.And if they do it can't be a daily driver it has to be parked in a garage and almost never drove kinda bs.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:00 PM

[Quote]my total bill for two XJs and some other stuff is only 136$ a month with full coverage [\Quote]

We're paying $400+ per year for four vehicles, liability only.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

[QUOTE=1976gmc20;3103243]
my total bill for two XJs and some other stuff is only 136$ a month with full coverage [\Quote]

^This, While my total insurance bill is around $1,400 per year, I have full coverage on my Mustang and Motorcycle (both are less than 3 years old), but the part of the bill for my XJ with liability only is only $11.50/mo. ($138/yr.). When you figure you will likely only get $2k-$3k for an XJ if it is totaled you are basically paying for the vehicle in additional insurance premiums every 2-3 years by having full coverage, on a vehicle that old/low book value carrying full coverage just doesn't make sense. You're better off just saving that money to repair/replace your vehicle if/when it becomes necessary rather than giving it to the insurance company.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:21 PM

^^^^I agree in my opinion full coverage is just a big scam. For new vehicles I can understand but even then your paying a ton of money for it. I bought a 2005 dodge ram hemi a year ago my loan payment was $200/mo and you are required to have full coverage while on a loan. So in 4 years that I'm paying $200/mo for the truck loan I'm also paying $200/mo for full coverage. I am essentially buying 2 trucks or double whatever way you look at it. Also considering the high deductible costs that insurance companies have anything short of a totaled vehicle you will fix or replace yourself out of pocket anyway. Needless to say I sold the truck now I daily drive my jeep. No payment and $20/mo liability is all I need.

Last edited by studmuffin; 06-20-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20
Unless you're in the same city in the same state with the same vehicles and are the same age with the same driving history and the same insurance company, comparing rates is a useless exercise. The biggest difference is geographical. Where you live will make a monstrous difference in your rate, and that makes your rate irrelevant when discussing rates for someone living in a different place.

Example: I moved from Tennessee to Louisiana. My rate almost tripled. I moved from Louisiana to Texas. My rate was cut in half. Why? Because Louisiana has among the highest payouts for claims in the entire country. It didn't matter that I was the same driver driving the same truck. Since I was living in a place where there were more claims on average and more money paid out per claim, the insurance company passed that cost right on to me.

That's the way insurance works. It's shared risk. If you present more risk to the insurance company, whether it's because of your location or other factors, you will pay more.

Originally Posted by studmuffin
^^^^I agree in my opinion full coverage is just a big scam. For new vehicles I can understand but even then your paying a ton of money for it.
Full coverage is not a scam. It's a financial hedge against financial loss. When your vehicle is worth $30K, it's worth the money to hedge against damage to it. When your vehicle is worth $2K, it's not. Don't blame the insurance company for offering a product that you are free to decline once you own your car free and clear.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky

Full coverage is not a scam. It's a financial hedge against financial loss. When your vehicle is worth $30K, it's worth the money to hedge against damage to it. When your vehicle is worth $2K, it's not. Don't blame the insurance company for offering a product that you are free to decline once you own your car free and clear.
I know how insurance works bud that's just my opinion. A pyramid scheme technically isn't a scam either but you know how that goes.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

What I was hoping to find out is information like the following:

In regards to extra/custom equipment on top of your vehicles totaled value.

Progressive- You get 1,000$ Free with full coverage and can purchase 4,000$ more for a few bucks a month. You have to save the receipts of your auto parts. (Called them)

Esurance- Will cover up to 4,000$- Need full coverage and to save your receipts https://www.esurance.com/info/car/cu...pment-coverage

USAA- Will only cover parts found to be in compliance with the CAPA but will do so under a normal policy. Won't help a Jeep user at all.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/g_ol...kredirect=true
http://www.capacertified.org

Look, Ive had 6XJs- most of which were beaters which I only put liability on but my current one would be around 20K to build another. I was just curious what other companies had to offer in terms of custom parts/equipment. As it stands with Progressive, I get 8,000 if my XJ is totaled. Is that worth an extra 50$ a month for me? Yes it is. I understand if it is not to you- I haven't ever had full coverage on anything before when it was possible not to.

Being as most (Statefarm/geico/Allstate ETC) won't tell me over the phone without a policy about their limits, I was curious if any of you KNEW what your provider would cover in terms of after market parts so that I could give them a call and get a quote (If one of them covered more than Progressives 5,000) That was the purpose to this thread- maybe get a list of what people offer what- Not to argue about the merits of having full coverage or not.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

I have my 78 Chevy Malibu Wagon insured for $67k with a specialty Ins Co. just to cover the engine/driveline and only on that amount because that was all the receipts I could find on them. With it the coverage is only good for "Non Competition" so not for racing.