Noob looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Noob looking for advice

What's up guys. I'm new here, but I'm looking at getting my first jeep. Looking for a Cherokee or GC. Just curious as to what years are the best/most reliable. And how many miles should I look for. It won't be wheeled much just mainly DD but sometimes we get quite a bit of snow. I see alot of XJs on CL with 160k-200k in my price range but didn't know what "a lot" of miles on a jeep is considered. What to look for as far as trannys. I know I want the 4.0 for sure tho. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jeremy
Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

The last two models of the Xj (00-01) are notorious for cracking heads, also they used a low pinion d30 in most of the last two years which are not as durable as the high pinion d30. I own an 88 with 225k and it runs like a champ. Obviously you want to shoot for lower miles but if they have been maintained 400k is possible...very possible. If you do plan on wheeling look for one with a 8.25 rear end. Also if you wanna avoid over heating headaches avoid renix era jeeps. All in all your buying a Cherokee...your Doing yourself good
Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

1997-1999 XJ. Should be able to find one with good mileage for less than 3500.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Which years are the renix era? Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Cherokees and grand cherokees are two very, very different vehicles. Xj's are cherokee only, no grand. as far as xj's go, stick with the 4.0, look for the chrysler 8.25 rear end, and avoid the peugot 5 speed they used in the early 80's. later 5 speeds, and auto's were aisin warner. Now this is where some people are going to disagree. in 98 they changed the plugs on most of the sensors and now charge twice as much for those sensors for 98 and newers. in 99 they made some changes to conform to stricter emissions regulations which cost a few horsepower that they gained back with a new intake, but that eliminates the option to put a newer intake on as an upgrade. in 2000 they started using the 0331 cylinder heads which are prone to cracking, as well as low pinion front axles. For these reasons my personal opinion is to stick with 97 and older. 97 is the year of the new body and interior. I personally think the 90 and older (renix era) cherokees before the chrysler changes were the most reliable.

As far as grands, alot of guys here love them... me personally, I don't want the problems that come with a chrysler transmission.

Edit: I see there were a couple of responses while I was typing this, didn't mean to repeat anything, there weren't any responses yet when I started, lol.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Originally Posted by Xj88
avoid renix era jeeps.
I'm pretty sure someone posted a link on here not too long ago of an 87 renix that had 620,000 miles or so on the original motor... I'd not avoid renix at all, though if I owned one I might hit pick n pull, and swap in the newer cooling system.

Originally Posted by JTProuhet
Which years are the renix era? Thanks
90 and older were renix.

Last edited by Donnie_K; 10-11-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm definitely leaning more towards an xj for sure. And was leaning more towards like a 93-98 just didn't really know as far as miles. I didn't want to buy something with 160-190k miles and start having a bunch of problems. But it sounds like if they are taken care of they'll last forever lol
Old 10-11-2011, 01:45 PM

I'm kind in the same boat. I drive a 2003 Mazda protege now. 130,xxx miles, auto trans. I have had more problems with this thing than you can imagine. Seems like at least once a month I'm spending a few hundred to fix something. Exhaust, alternator, plugs and wires, both o2 sensors went at once. You name it it's happened. And now I'm having even more problems. Here's my question. If I fix what's wrong and sell my car, XJ's in that price range have about 150,xxx miles. Will a cherokee be more reliable than what I have? Or will I be replacing just as many parts due to the age? I will be taking a hit in MPG's but if I don't have to keep replacing parts, it seems like a better option.

I don't mean to thread jack, but any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by derfernerf
I'm kind in the same boat. I drive a 2003 Mazda protege now. 130,xxx miles, auto trans. I have had more problems with this thing than you can imagine. Seems like at least once a month I'm spending a few hundred to fix something. Exhaust, alternator, plugs and wires, both o2 sensors went at once. You name it it's happened. And now I'm having even more problems. Here's my question. If I fix what's wrong and sell my car, XJ's in that price range have about 150,xxx miles. Will a cherokee be more reliable than what I have? Or will I be replacing just as many parts due to the age? I will be taking a hit in MPG's but if I don't have to keep replacing parts, it seems like a better option.

I don't mean to thread jack, but any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated. Thanks!
I'm in the same boat u are. Lol I'm in a 97 f250 powerstroke with 280k. Gets 18-20mpg but tires and brakes and oil changes are a lot cheaper stepping down to an xj. May not get the same mpg but it'd be cheaper in the long run. And my truck is starting to nickel and dime me to death and i had the same question, if I step to an xj with 170k will I be replacing something different ever week?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

I'm in the same boat u are. Lol I'm in a 97 f250 powerstroke with 280k. Gets 18-20mpg but tires and brakes and oil changes are a lot cheaper stepping down to an xj. May not get the same mpg but it'd be cheaper in the long run. And my truck is starting to nickel and dime me to death and i had the same question, if I step to an xj with 170k will I be replacing something different ever week?
XJ's are alot more reliable than both of the vehicles you guys are talking about, BUT like any other vehicle, they have to be maintained. Without tender loving care all machines die. XJ's are cheaper to work on and easier than most vehicles out there. But when you buy a jeep, you've not bought a vehicle, just made a down payment on all the accessories, lol. And trust me, a set of mud tires are not cheap! Now, I'm gonna make at least a couple of people disagree with me again, lol, but here it is. Most newer oils don't have enough zinc in them because alot of new motors use rollers instead of flat tappets. Older motors like your ford and these xj's have flat tappets that require an oil with zinc in them such as valvoline VR1, or a zinc additive. Like I said, alot of people will disagree with that but when I put my comp cams extreme 4x4 cam in my 97 the paperwork said the warranty would be void if I didn't use an oil with zinc in it at least for break in.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Ive owned a LOT of vehicles..and my xj has proven to be the most reliable..however...youll honestly end up spending more money than youll ever imagine on it because eventually youll want it sitting pretty on a lift, tires, armor, etc.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee

What's up guys. I'm new here, but I'm looking at getting my first jeep. Looking for a Cherokee or GC. Just curious as to what years are the best/most reliable. And how many miles should I look for. It won't be wheeled much just mainly DD but sometimes we get quite a bit of snow. I see alot of XJs on CL with 160k-200k in my price range but didn't know what "a lot" of miles on a jeep is considered. What to look for as far as trannys. I know I want the 4.0 for sure tho. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jeremy
Adams apple, broad shoulders.......oh wait
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks very much guys for the response. Defiantely sounds like ill be making a good move going to an XJ.. now just to find the right one. Lol alright last question. What is the most miles on an xj you would buy? And what are key things to look for when looking at them? Thank you guys very much for the advice. It's greatly appreciated
Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Thanks very much guys for the response. Defiantely sounds like ill be making a good move going to an XJ.. now just to find the right one. Lol alright last question. What is the most miles on an xj you would buy? And what are key things to look for when looking at them? Thank you guys very much for the advice. It's greatly appreciated
Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 AM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee

You say you are set on an XJ now but yet it's mainly going to be a DD with some snow driving. I honestly would go for a WJ with the sect trac. It's going to be so much more comfortable on the road than an xj with more interior room, quieter, etc. and the type of wheeling you will be doing it will be just fine.

Quick Reply: Noob looking for advice