Newbie with lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Newbie with lift questions

Hello everyone!

I had a Wrangler years ago but hated the lack of space and stiffness.
Just bought a '96 Cherokee Sport yesterday with 192K mi. and I'm changing the radiator (that's leaking) and the power steering pump, tomorrow.

The suspension is shut and have been doing a lot of reading on the forum and I have decided to go with a lift - Rubicon Express 3.5" SuperFlex with full set of leafs.

My questions about the lift are:
Besides shocks (I'd like to put Old Man Emu shocks - but what size for the 3.5" lift would be ideal?);
What else would I need to do for that size lift? I've been reading about changing the SYE, Tom Woods drive shaft, Adjustable Trac Bar - are all these necessary when you change the lift to only 3.5" ???

I appreciate your feedback!

Rob
Old 01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

I would go with a trac bar,quick disconects up front,new stabilizer.Maybe even brake lines.As far as OME they only do one shock for that amount of lift.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door

The shocks aren't gonna change ur ride quality until u break in the leafs! U thought ur wrangler was stiff... lol as for a SYE u shouldn't need it under 4.5"s of lift. Every xj responds diffrent to the lift, so for the money I'd just start out with a TCase drop kit!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Year: 2000

I didn't need to replace my track bar on my 93 with a 3" lift, but as mentioned every XJ is different. Also you can bend the front brake line and relocate its mounting position on the frame down some instead of having to get a new one. For the rear you can use a YJ brake line that is about 4-5" longer.

SYE is hit or miss with 3" if lift, some need it some don't my 93 XJ with 3" of lift didnt require the sye, but just a tcase drop, the 99 with 3" required the SYE

I assume your wrangler was a pre 97 with leaf springs? The XJ as you know has coils up front and leafs in rear so ride will hopefully be nicer than your YJ (if that is what you had).

Last edited by linuxrick; 01-10-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:37 PM

LINUX.. yes I had a 91 Wrangler with leafs= stiff!

I'd like to thank everyone for answering so far...keep em coming.

So, I should be OK with just the lift, possibly a Transfer case drop for starters, if that doesn't work then I'll have to do the SYE... correct?

Next Question: If I'd have to go with SYE, would I need to replace the Drive shaft (Tom Woods)?
Old 01-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Year: 2000

Yeah just adding lift will be ok, you MIGHT require the other stuff but I guess you just have to wait and see. You can do the tcase drop if you get drive line vibrations, if that doesnt fix it then SYE(slip yoke eliminator).

The SYE replaces the rear output of the tcase so the connection will now be different, that will require a different way to connect, and a new driveshaft that is longer than the stock one. I am sure there are some write ups with photos on the site somewhere, or on the web. It's hard to explain and a picture is worth 1000 words as they say.

I just got a 2000 XJ and in the spring it will get a 3" lift so I will be going through the same process.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door

just order the t-case drop kit with ur lift cause either way you will want it SYE or NOT! you gotta figure the angle of ur drive shaft will still be steep thus being hard on ur rear u-joint! or u could just do a quick fab up with some 1"x1" steel square tube & longer cross member bolts!!!