Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop
Default New XJ; New Account

So I was checking Craigslist last week and spotted a '96 Cherokee Sport for $3700. I clicked on it and found out it only had 66,000 miles on the odometer, and it was from the south (SCORE!). I bought it today for $3000. It needs some cosmetic attention (paint chips, it has a dumb looking pinstripe on it right now, the front bumper will need to be replaced, it needs a new right tail light and a new right rear fender flare). I'm fixing her up and once it's done it'll be like the fantasy I have of taking a time machine and buying a cherokee brand new at the dealership.

Anyways, I'm just here to say I had an account on here earlier (JeepcherokeeTV). A friend and I were planning on making a series of XJ related videos but it never went through so now the account name is irreverent. I decided to create this account to continue my time on CF with a name that doesn't sound weird lol... I'll keep posting stuff about my '92 Laredo, but this account will pretty much just be about my new XJ Sport. Feel free to add me if you'd like to, I'd love to get some friends on here. Have a great day!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Congrats on an awesome score! 66k miles on a '96 is incredible. I have 104,500 on my '99.

Now we need some pics!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by GreenClassic
Congrats on an awesome score! 66k miles on a '96 is incredible. I have 104,500 on my '99.

Now we need some pics!
Yeah I was just shocked when I saw the mileage. Most XJs up for sale on Craigslist usually have 130k+ on them. My '92 Cherokee Laredo has 108,000 on it which is pretty good considering its getting near 19 years old. Your '99 still has pretty low mileage on it considering it's age, most from that year are way above you so you're golden!

The '96 isn't quite to my liking as of right now though. I'm used to my other XJ, having tons of bells and whistles. My new XJ is a heater and an ashtray vehicle LOL. The only options it has is the 4.0 HO, Automatic Trans, Driver Airbag (I hate it, I like the look of my 3 spoke wheel instead), it's a 4 door, and it's got A/C which is a nice thing to have. Hopefully at some point I'll paint the grille because I'm not too fond of the Black grille (some people like them, I'm just not used to it) and I also want to tint my windows, and get all my sets of KCs installed. I'll start a build thread for it so you can see all the pictures and before/after shots. I Just ordered a new Alpine head unit, kenwood speakers, and some tweeters. So that will be one of my first additions. This Jeep is extremely promising, I really can't wait to have it worthy of parking next to the other lifted trucks at the school I take auto shop at!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

thats sweet it only had 66k. I got my 99 with 96k this summer from around sterling heights.
its cool to see you're from west bloomfield. im from walled lake
Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CFarr44
thats sweet it only had 66k. I got my 99 with 96k this summer from around sterling heights.
its cool to see you're from west bloomfield. im from walled lake
Yeah It's really awesome, it's going on 67k now though. I just officially bought it and transferred the title over today. I've been working with it in my garage all day LOL. You're from Walled Lake? I go there every day for OSTC/Auto Shop. We'll have to meet up once my new XJ is all fixed up
Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 1996XJSport
Yeah It's really awesome, it's going on 67k now though. I just officially bought it and transferred the title over today. I've been working with it in my garage all day LOL. You're from Walled Lake? I go there every day for OSTC/Auto Shop. We'll have to meet up once my new XJ is all fixed up
yeah we'll need to go wheelin somewhere. My best friends got an XJ to he would go wheelin with us
Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CFarr44
yeah we'll need to go wheelin somewhere. My best friends got an XJ to he would go wheelin with us
lol well we could check out these back roads me and my friend discovered over off M-59 in Highland/White Lake... There's tons of dirt roads where the speed limit is 50-55. They all run through the woods and there's tons of mud and no cops. My friend and I accidentally took a wrong turn once and ended up driving all the way to Holly just by taking the dirt roads.. It's crazy lol
Old 09-13-2010, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6 efi

Good find there skipper, seriously why can't I ever find this stuff!