XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

New XJ

Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default New XJ

As much as I love my XJ... its time for it to go. I'm living on a college budget and time schedule, on campus with limited tools, and there is far too much wrong with it to make it worth it. For example, the floorboard that finally gave out, under the drivers side. The fact that I no longer have a drivers side rocker panel, and a rather deep rust spot above the windshield that is starting to contribute to rain leaking in. Even the 'frame' rails for the unibody are rotting away. I guess the body just wasn't taken care of with the P/O for New England weather. Maybe he thought the flex that he wanted was in the body itself

I'm off tomorrow to look at a few 'new' replacements. Unfortunately, it seems that the ones around here within my budget are only 2 door models. Anything good, or bad, to say about these? One's a stick with 101,000 miles, what should I look for in the tranny? I've heard AX-15 is superior to BA-10, how bad is BA-10? They're both 1996. The auto only has 77K miles. A little wary, given the low price of 2,200, but I'm checking it out anyways. Of course, I'll watch out for the floor, give it a test drive to check the steering, check the tires for wear patterns, leaks around all the spots. Anything else I should be wary of?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is a 96 it will have the AX15 trans. Jeep stopped using the BA10 in 89. Both of those would be considered reasonable mileage for their age. Just do a good inspection and trust your gut judgement.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:29 AM
G_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

My drivers side rocker is toatally gone. but the rust did not spread beyond that so its no big deal just cosmetic.

If it has the dana 35 in the rear with the rubber plug pop the plug out and check the oil level. If its really low then you know that the PO probably never even checked it which would mean that the tcase fluid is in need of a change as well.

just give it a good look over and drive it preferably on bumpy roads so you can see if it has death wobble or any other problems.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

take em for more than a round the block test. look em over as much as possible. least you got a parts rig, good luck man.