Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to the Jeep world

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New to the Jeep world

How's it going. Im fairly new to the whole jeep scene. I bought my girlfriend a 97 Cherokee and drove it around stock inside and out. I started looking up what i could do to it being it's not a 4x4. I decided i liked the whole "bugout" style and decided thats what i wanted to do. I started with the super basic roof basket for extra water and gas for when i gotta take off. Then i asked my dad for his old KC lights he had when he was a teenager and he and I put them on this past weekend. Last the best deal i probably will get, i found some 31x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler silent armor tires with about 10-15k miles and some Wrangler rims for $200. i thought that was a great deal, considering i've been shopping for tires since i got the jeep. So heres the pictures of us putting on the tires with NO lift. any suggestions as to what sort of lift i should go with is appreciated. i don't want something outrageous, just for a little extra clearance. Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/XOrFMam.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Nnk0b2I.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nmQ6NvZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ANfQZBg.jpg

Last edited by xSkidmark; 05-20-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Where exactly are all the bugout people going to bugout TO?

Are you just going to live out in the country, guess that's a good idea cause the cities will be like free for all, mob rule, war zones if the poo hits the fan.

Wouldn't it be better to just hold up inside your house and blast anyone who comes near?

Last edited by 95Cherokee; 05-20-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
Where exactly are all the bugout people going to bugout TO?

Are you just going to live out in the country, guess that's a good idea cause the cities will be like free for all, mob rule, war zones if the poo hits the fan.

Wouldn't it be better to just hold up inside your house and blast anyone who comes near?

haha yea thats the plan. my dad has 150 acres up north of austin and enough resources to live off until we figure something out. not to mention we have enough fire arms to take over a small Indian village.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Yea, that's it, I say we all spread out in the country and fight in small groups or individually, the U.S. military has a notoriously hard time against guerrilla warfare, think Viet Cong.

Most of their weapons are for killing large numbers of people at once, so staying spread out is the way to go.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

And remember, they'll probably be wearing body armor and helmets, so aim for the face.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Use a 10 gauge. Knock em down and then finish them at your leisure.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
Yea, that's it, I say we all spread out in the country and fight in small groups or individually, the U.S. military has a notoriously hard time against guerrilla warfare, think Viet Cong.

Most of their weapons are for killing large numbers of people at once, so staying spread out is the way to go.

haha! id be careful what gets posted on the interwebs but yea. we'll buy a bunch of Tannerite and set up a perimeter. he has some Con ex containers we can use for bunkers lol I know. it's getting out of hand
Old 05-21-2013, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

A con ex bunker would be awesome. Maybe I'll have one when I get some property to bury it in. You might wanna invest in a donor jeep at your property or a bunch of spare parts. You could always swap in parts to make it 4wd.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by rmoore1031
A con ex bunker would be awesome. Maybe I'll have one when I get some property to bury it in. You might wanna invest in a donor jeep at your property or a bunch of spare parts. You could always swap in parts to make it 4wd.

i never thought about converting to 4x4. i was told you literally have to pull off the shell and set it on a 4x4 chassis. i assumed there was other ways but never looked into it.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0

There really isn't a shell... its a unibody. You'd need at least the following parts: 4wd transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, and front axle with matching gear ratios as your rear axle. There is more to it but its been done many times. I have an 88 Comanche that is 2wd, I wanted to do the conversion this summer but don't have room for a donor. That is why I recommend you find a suitable donor for 4wd and various other spares. 2wd is not the end of the world but it is nice to have when you actually need it.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by xSkidmark
haha! id be careful what gets posted on the interwebs but yea. we'll buy a bunch of Tannerite and set up a perimeter. he has some Con ex containers we can use for bunkers lol I know. it's getting out of hand

Yeah be careful the IRS may be watching