Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

new guy here

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default new guy here

hey guys my name is frank and im new here. i just got a 89 two door cherokee auto with a 242 t-case with rebuilt trans from my buddy for 500$ i am using it to get back and forth to work so i don't have to rack up milage up on my truck. I'm new to owning a jeep but not new to knowing what you can do to them. last night buddys and i went wheeling a little bit and i got the bug to do some work to her. i dont wanna go crazy but i was thinking a 3 inch lift from rust's with full leafs. only reason why im thinking with full leafs is that the suspention parts are rusty and id like to replace them with nice new lift parts. i still drive the jeep everyday as a dd but wanna be able to get in it and wheel. i was just at the junk yard the other day i need doors due to the fack that mine are rotten, so i got a set of new doors and happen to be my color not rotten but dented who cares! I'm doing from power to manual window and i love that so much more. i also got manual seat frames and swaped out my power for them. inside the jeep smelled like mold due to sitting so i ripped out all the carpet and plan on using truck bed liner for the floors. head liner was saging so that had to go also. i dont smell the mold anymore lol. i am also looking for the wrangler 15x8 wheels to throw on because i love the way they looks and my tires are like brand new. reason why im posting here is because just trying to get some ideas here. the jeep was ridden hard and put away and id like to bring her back to life if you will. jeep hast stock dona lp30 in the front and dana 35 in the rear with 3.55 gears. like i said jeep has a 242 t-case and its a inline 6 with 4x4 clearly. thanks guys any help would be great.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

3" lift is great, get some 33's and cut the fenders. trac relocation bracket, shackles and relocators, and get two XJ leafs, cut them down and build your own pack.

if you get your lift used, you'll be around 400$ for everything... and it will wheel very good. them get a front locker if needed and your set.

it should be a HP d30 up front in 89' also, I have same setup and same gearing 33's aren't bad at all. I have a np231 t case tho
Old 10-20-2013, 10:16 AM

not worth buying a complete kit? i can get a complete kit 3 inch from rustys for 438 springs complete leafs and shocks u bolts and all. or the advanced kit with control arms upper and lowers with track bar?
Old 10-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by fannitti
not worth buying a complete kit? i can get a complete kit 3 inch from rustys for 438 springs complete leafs and shocks u bolts and all. or the advanced kit with control arms upper and lowers with track bar?
totally depends on what you want. you'll probly be a lot higher in the rear with full leafs and shackles. you can get springs for 80-100$, trac bar bracket (3" you don't need new bar, the bracket just helps with articulation) 25$, XJ leafs usually freebies, shackles 50$, boxes 130$, shocks (measure first) my 3" ones limited me ALOT, cheap napa's I think 30$ a piece? lol. and you'll have a good working rig. I think rear shocks extended length are 27"'s 15" collapsed

IMO you'll save $, have fun cutting up leafs lol, and have a much better riding and wheeling rig.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Seasoned Member

also new brakes lines! those are important lol
Old 10-20-2013, 04:23 PM

no control arms? i was hoping to use a brake like extention for the rear. maybe aal and shackel for the rear?front brake lines arnt long enough?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by fannitti
no control arms? i was hoping to use a brake like extention for the rear. maybe aal and shackel for the rear?front brake lines arnt long enough?
usually the coils will come with lowers, you need brake lines for front and rear, at least I did, your droop with improve dramatically. you can do AAL but I'm telling you an Xj/Xj pack rides and flexes much better. it's real easy to do. front brakes are pretty tight when drooped