New cherokee needs help NEWBIE

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New cherokee needs help NEWBIE

I just picked up a 88 cherokee with a 6.5" RC lift . It has a brand new lift never driven on. The guy was going to biuld it up, but ran out of money. It has a new track bar also and am running 33" tires. I need a family safe road worthy rig PLEASE HELP

Question.
The front has not been aligned yet.

I have the top of the tires that are bent inward towards the body. What do I need to do to correct the tire camber ? Both tires lean inwards at the top.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Year: 1994

U gonna do it yourself? I'd take it somewhere, also get adj. Control arms and a drop pitman if not already installed. To help eliminate death wobble
Old 02-25-2011, 04:56 PM

I have control arms and the drop pitman aswell on it. Does it sounds like something I can fix. I'm just not sure where to start. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but never worked on a straight axle before. Is this a camber shim thing or a ball joint thing
Old 02-25-2011, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: '89
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by murfs64
family safe road worthy rig
Solution:
Buy a Minivan.

Who in their right mind buys a 6.5" lifted XJ with problems for a "family safe road worthy rig"

....seriously....
Old 02-25-2011, 05:03 PM

hey it was $500

come on Don't bash me here. I just need help with it. we are only going to use it for driving to the offroad place to do some wheeling
Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Well ok, if you really want my opinion....

And you want this done quickly, and to have everything be correct...
Just take it to a garage...and if you have the time, and if the garage will let you, watch them fix/solve the issues, so that way you know how to rectify the problem if it ever comes up again...and of course this is better if you bring it to a garage you actually trust.

And as for camber....never really heard of screwin up the camber...maybe the toe....but not the camber, unless somethings bent.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

If you do not have the know how or what was done... and you are going to have your wife or any kind of kids in it take it to a professional... to be safe... because you will never forgive yourself if something happened to one of your kids or your wife... because of your rig...
Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM

th elift was just put on and nevver driven. I had to tighten all the nuts and bolts on the lift. I will bring it in to the shop after I am able to determine what the issue is with the alignment. I just thought I could get some help here, buut it seams like everyone is here to not give me help, just throw me in a different direction. Isn't a forum to help people do things on there own and not spend the extra cash which no one has now adays. I will definately take in consideratioon that my family comes first, but I would like to get a good answer on what is the issue with the jeep.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Rooster
If you do not have the know how or what was done... and you are going to have your wife or any kind of kids in it take it to a professional... to be safe... because you will never forgive yourself if something happened to one of your kids or your wife... because of your rig...
EXACTLY!!
Cause you wouldnt want this to happen because of you...lol...

Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by murfs64
th elift was just put on and nevver driven. I had to tighten all the nuts and bolts on the lift. I will bring it in to the shop after I am able to determine what the issue is with the alignment. I just thought I could get some help here, buut it seams like everyone is here to not give me help, just throw me in a different direction. Isn't a forum to help people do things on there own and not spend the extra cash which no one has now adays. I will definately take in consideratioon that my family comes first, but I would like to get a good answer on what is the issue with the jeep.
Yes this is a forum to help... but you are new to Jeeps... and this is a safety issue... We are not there to personally look at your jeep.. we have no idea how good or how much or a hack job the lift is done... and I would never risk any of my family members with such a issue... you asked for advice... you are just not getting the answers you want... and i would be worried if you had to tighten anything... nothing should be loose... further more there has to be a reason to was 500 .... You need a lift to get help with your problem or an aligment machine... hope this helps... any pictures of youe Jeep?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

if you bought it for $500 then id just sell it and get a stock xj or something especially if you want to have this be your dd
Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 PM

I see I see. It was $500 due to $700 back DMV fees. Here is the story. The guy baught it to crawl with his son. He started the lift and got lazy and just finger tightened most of the rest of it. He ended up getting a 4runner crawled out and gave this one up. I bought it and paid the tags to get up to date. Now I'm going through it to make everything good and tight and just noticed the wheels today.

Just getting back in to jeepin. Had a wrangler and a CJ5 a few years ago.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

ok well can you can a picture of your front end so we can see what you mean?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

OK....so excuse me for the basic crude drawing....as its only to get the point across, since OP cant provide a pic...

If your wheels are like this...then.....I think youre kinda fukt... Ive never had my wheels do that OR look like that before.
Even when the entire front axle/steering assembly/linkage is out from underneath my XJ....I still havent seen it do anything like what your talking about.
It screwed with the toe, and thats about it....unless I just dont recall that, but Im pretty sure.