New to cherokee lifting, aftermarket, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre (242) SMFI I6 "Power Tech"
Default New to cherokee lifting, aftermarket, etc

Hi, I've had my 2001 XJ for about two years now all I've done is put in subs, get rid of rust, paint rims, and rhino line the bottom. I need help now that I am trying to buy a lift I want it to look badass. My XJ just hit 120,000 so I plan on having it for at least another 5+ years. I want to either get a safari rack to put the spare on or a mount for the hatch. I don't know whether I should start with a 2" lift or go for a 3"+ lift to start I only do light to moderate off-roading with my buddies. I also want to get a muffler and exhaust with an aggressive sound. Lastly I want to get a brushgaurd with some KC lights. I just want to know if you all have any suggestions on where to get cheap parts that are of good quality,good brands to check-out as well, if these sound like smart ideas, and tips to entering this without making stupid mistakes and some off-roading tips. Thank you for your input.

Hi, I've had my 2001 XJ for about two years now all I've done is put in subs, get rid of rust, paint rims, and rhino line the bottom. I need help now that I am trying to buy a lift I want it to look badass. My XJ just hit 120,000 so I plan on having it for at least another 5+ years. I want to either get a safari rack to put the spare on or a mount for the hatch. I don't know whether I should start with a 2" lift or go for a 3"+ lift to start I only do light to moderate off-roading with my buddies. I also want to get a muffler and exhaust with an aggressive sound. Lastly I want to get a brushgaurd with some KC lights. I just want to know if you all have any suggestions on where to get cheap parts that are of good quality,good brands to check-out as well, if these sound like smart ideas, and tips to entering this without making stupid mistakes and some off-roading tips. Thank you for your input.

My last post I guess I put in the wrong section but I am looking forward to discussing Jeep and Cherokees and learning from all of you. I am from New Hampshire and my 2001 XJ was my first car and I've had it for 2 years now looking to beef it up and turn it into a daily driver I can take off-roading on the weekends.

Last edited by cruiser54; 10-01-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to C.F!

Mounting a spare on the roof will drastically raise your center of gravity and in the event of a rollover all of the vehicle weight will be focused on a small area...not good.

Mounting the spare to the hatch is inviting strut failure and the hatch will be darn near impossible to open.

A bumper or receiver mounted tire carrier is your best bet.

Don't start small, you'll be unhappy very quickly. Since you already stated your desire to go bigger...do it once, do it right.

FlowMaster makes a great muffler and catback system that will give you the sound you're after and the added benefit of being very durable.

BrushGuards are frowned upon when building a rig that will actually be used offroad. Consider a beefier front and rear bumper that will offer protection and recovery points as well.

The industry is moving away from starnd/conventional lighting. L.E.D's are the latest in offroad lighting. They offer exceptional output with minimal draw on the electrical ssytem, but beware of cheap lights, you don't always get what you pay for with some of the junk out their. RESEARCH!

Check out the vendor forum here for the products you're looking for.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome
Old 09-25-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

As Serious. Stated above... Do or right the first time. Be patient. Look for deals. Scour Craigslist and forum classifieds for used gear. Save your money and fabricate your own mods. Junk yard are your friends... And welcome to the party!