Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default Need some help here!

Okay so im thinking of giving my jeep alittle lift, so my dad has 4 2in blocks and i plan on just stacking 2 on top of each other and putting under the leafs but then comes the front and i didnt know if i should get knew coil springs to add some lift or do coil spacer and if they even make 4in coil spacers and dont try to change my mind and say to just buy a whole lift kit cuz yeah it aint gonna work and it just gets annoying. Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by CherokeeXJ
Okay so im thinking of giving my jeep alittle lift, so my dad has 4 2in blocks and i plan on just stacking 2 on top of each other and putting under the leafs but then comes the front and i didnt know if i should get knew coil springs to add some lift or do coil spacer and if they even make 4in coil spacers and dont try to change my mind and say to just buy a whole lift kit cuz yeah it aint gonna work and it just gets annoying. Thanks
I will suggest a lift, its easier... but here..

1.) Go to local junkyard find a f-150 and pull the front springs off, then find a s10 chevy pickup or blazer and pull the leaf packs off the rear

2.) cut the cat eyes off the leaf pack shave down the end of the leaf and bolt it to the main leaf of your xj.

3.) Add block if you want to rear, next insert front f-150 coil springs and add spacer if you want.

This will give you 4-5 inch lift. (2-3 inch from coils springs and leafs, and 2" from spacers.)

Btw anything from 3 inch + it is recommended to get lower control arms atleast, second if you got 4+ inch you may require a front trac bar, if you jump 2" in any lift is beneficial to get shocks because you would have almost fully extended your old shocks. AND at 4-5 inch you may need an SYE, driveshaft lengthening, and brake line extensions. Plan wisely.

If you can't commit to a lift wait til you save up.. I lifted mine to quickly, and had to drive 3 days with no trac bar til i got it shipped from quadratrac and spent 150$ on drive shaft lengthening (cheapest because sye 200$ plus driveshaft is another 200+$... plan wisely

Forgot to mention... (Stacking spacers on spacers is a very dangerous and stupid way to lift your jeep. Sorry to put it bluntly, but you increase the chance of failure, and any block thats over 2" for the rear is not recommended as they are more likely to crack and cause axel wrap. And 2 blocks stacked on each other can and most likely will pull apart and there goes your rear end of your jeep...)

Last edited by Xj4lyfe; 07-29-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Hey thanks for giving me an idea of whart i should do, my first plan was to just get the 4'5 rc lift but my dad thought he would save me some money, so i would have a lift on it but he though we could do it that way.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Lift kits are expensive, but atleast you don't have to Guess and what you need next. A good lift kit will have everything you need minus ddrive shafts and SYE kit and if your planning to go past 4" start planning what you REALLY want. Like the thread I started on how high to go.

I've learned from watching my friend its a lot cheaper to go from stock to 6.5" in lift then from stock to 4" to 6" to 8".. which is what he did lol
Old 07-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Seasoned Member

yeah same with me, have a friend and he has a commanche and he went from stock to 3in then i think a 4 and now he at a 6'5 and he breaks stuff all the time, so im just gonna learn from his mistakes and buy the lift that i want, and yeah i was loking at your thread earlier lol