Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need some advise

I'm saving up to buy my lift and tires piece by piece and then I'm gonna do a build thread. I have a Silver 2001 XJ with 79,xxx miles and planning on doing a 3 inch lift with 31x10.50's with some type of black wheel. It's gonna be maily a DD with the occational hunting trail that a stock XJ can go down so it's mainly for looks. I do want it to ride great on the road cause I take an occasional 800 mile road trip up north. I'm hoping to go with a RE or BDS lift if I can afford it. Which would you go with or recommend another brand? What brand of tire and back spacing on wheel? Last question is would a 15x7 wheel work and why does everyone seem to run 15x8? I know its obviously an inch narrower but is there any other difference? I don't want to trim or remove the factory flares. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

with 31's at 3" you do not have to remove the factory flares... though on an 01 before I even considered lifting it, I would have to swap that low pinion dana 30 up front for a high pinion out of a late 90's xj, as well as swap the head with a 97-99 head if it happens to have the crack prone 0331 casting.

Other than that, RE 3.5" super ride ftw
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
with 31's at 3" you do not have to remove the factory flares... though on an 01 before I even considered lifting it, I would have to swap that low pinion dana 30 up front for a high pinion out of a late 90's xj, as well as swap the head with a 97-99 head if it happens to have the crack prone 0331 casting.

Other than that, RE 3.5" super ride ftw
Is the lp 30 that bad even if I'm not really going off road?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

well yeah, ground clearance isn't the biggest problem, it's the driveshaft angle, especially once you lift it. Dana 30's are cheap and everywhere anyway.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM

OK, so what about wheels. Will a 15x7 with 3.75 bs look good with 31x10.50's or is 15x8 better?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

no, that's not enough backspacing, and with an inch less rim width that makes for even less backspacing. Gonna end up with tires rubbing your lower control arms when you turn full lock. I'd definately stick with the 15 x 8 with at least 4" of backspacing. Besides, why would you want to go higher but not widen the wheelbase? seems like a recipe for a roll over. That slightly wider stance adds just a little more stability.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 AM

no, that's not enough backspacing, and with an inch less rim width that makes for even less backspacing. Gonna end up with tires rubbing your lower control arms when you turn full lock. I'd definately stick with the 15 x 8 with at least 4" of backspacing. Besides, why would you want to go higher but not widen the wheelbase? seems like a recipe for a roll over. That slightly wider stance adds just a little more stability.
A 3.75 inch bs would actually sit wider than a 4 inch so I'm a little confused as to why you say it's not enough. I'll have to do more research I guess since nobody but you has put in their 2 cents. Thanks for helping.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

no, you're absolutely correct, that was my fault. Sorry. Less back spacing moves the wheel further out.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I would run a 15x8 w/ 3.75 bs over a 15x7. The 15x8 will give you a slightly wider stance and IMO will look better. As a DD and occasional wheeler, RE's 3.5" super ride will work well and I'd stick to an All Terrain tire. BFG's last forever on XJ's as long as you take care of them (rotations, proper inflation, alignment).

I would highly consider the HP D30 swap just for driveshaft angles. The 0331 head does have a bad rap for cracking so if it really does worry you, swap over to a late 90's head like Donnie said.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 stroked to 4.6, Thanks to Teasdale'sMachine!

Sounds like a good plan. It's exactly what i started with on my 99.

Listen to Donnie on the front axle. Get rid of the LP 30. Also you might be able to save some money by buying some used rims and then having them powder coated a nice gloss black. I picked up a set of M/T classic II and 31's for 400. Ran them till the 31 fell off then had them powder coated before wrapping them with 33's.

Need some advise-image-1835360420.jpg

Before with 33

Need some advise-image-4113138436.jpg

After new lift with powder coating.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
I would run a 15x8 w/ 3.75 bs over a 15x7. The 15x8 will give you a slightly wider stance and IMO will look better. As a DD and occasional wheeler, RE's 3.5" super ride will work well and I'd stick to an All Terrain tire. BFG's last forever on XJ's as long as you take care of them (rotations, proper inflation, alignment).

I would highly consider the HP D30 swap just for driveshaft angles. The 0331 head does have a bad rap for cracking so if it really does worry you, swap over to a late 90's head like Donnie said.
Thanks. Now i'm alittle frustrated cause of the whole front axle swap that everyone seems very concerned about. I honestly had no idea and really didn't want to get into all that extra work on trying to find and install one. I was hoping to just find a lift and install and all would be good....haha. Also all these lifts are so differnent. Some have shocks, TC drops, control arms, trac bars , etc.etc.etc. I'd hate to buy a "KIT" and find that I need addition parts like shims, trac bars, and whatever else doen't come in a "KIT".
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 stroked to 4.6, Thanks to Teasdale'sMachine!

Welcome to realm of XJ

It's all good man.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rayray0918
Thanks. Now i'm alittle frustrated cause of the whole front axle swap that everyone seems very concerned about. I honestly had no idea and really didn't want to get into all that extra work on trying to find and install one. I was hoping to just find a lift and install and all would be good....haha. Also all these lifts are so differnent. Some have shocks, TC drops, control arms, trac bars , etc.etc.etc. I'd hate to buy a "KIT" and find that I need addition parts like shims, trac bars, and whatever else doen't come in a "KIT".
Research research research. SYE trumps TC drop, any lift will need longer lower control arms if you want the right geometry in your steering, along with an adjustable track bar. If you're gonna build a 4x4, learn 4x4's before you start buying parts.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM

Research research research. SYE trumps TC drop, any lift will need longer lower control arms if you want the right geometry in your steering, along with an adjustable track bar. If you're gonna build a 4x4, learn 4x4's before you start buying parts.
I agree. I have had 4x4's all my life but not an XJ and know some but not all which is why I'm here. I know a SYE is said to be better but have never heard anything negative about a TC drop other than you lose ground clearance which isn't an issue for me since I won't be doing anything hardcore and I'd rather spend $100 rather than $500 if clearance is the only issue. Let me know what other problems there are with a TC drop. I know things that I "need" but I was just saying how companies sell a "kit" that doesn't have parts that you'll need. For instance a RE 3.5 inch super ride kit doesn't come with a track bar that I should need but comes with quick disconnects that I don't need cause I won't be using them. Why wouldn't it come with a trac bar if it's needed instead of buying it seperate? Not trying to be difficult but I'm the type of person that likes to do things right the first time so I'd rather have everything at once. I was told I could be helped here so that's all I was trying to do and get advice from people that have been dealing with XJ's for awhile instead of going to a lift store where they try to stick it in my a$$ and tell me I need everything they sell or it won't be right. Sorry for the book I just wrote.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

you can get away with stock track bar at 3.5 inches, but an adjustable one is better, obviously.

a transfer case drop of 3/4 - 1 inch works great for your 3.5 inch lift. sye later if you have a 231 case.

full leaf pack is best, but an add a leaf (aal) would also work to keep the cost down. maybe a bastard pack if your leafs are flat now.

quick disconnects are great even if you just venture off road for one weekend a month. night and day. don't forget to air down a bit too.

low pinion will work fine with your 3.5, but keep in mind for when you come across a good deal on an hp30 in your future travels.

if equipped with a d35, you'll be ok with a 31 inch tire, look for a 27 spline 8.25 in your future travels. (maybe out of the same jeep as the hp30).

go with 15x8 and 3.75 back space wheel with your 31 inch tire.

don't bother regearing, it won't be all that noticeable.

this is all in my own personable opinion, btw. so take it with a grain of salt.

and last but not least, do the work yourself and have lots of fun wrenchin.

Quick Reply: Need some advise